Thread: 338 lapua

Basic Member

338 lapua

I took the plunge on a new boomer. This will be replacing my 7mm, so I went with the LRH. Starting loads will be 225 sst with h4831. In the wings are 300gr nosler comps and some atips.

No real questions, just giddy for my new rifle. Post up your favorite load or things I need to watch for on a new savage.

Edit: what are you running for a scope on your boomer? This feels like the appropriate time for non-chyna glass.

Basic Member
    Nice rifle for sure. I'm running a Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 on my 110LRH and a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 on my 112 Magnum Target. Great glass, great tracking.

Basic Member
    I like the 112's stock, I was tempted with its good looks and increased action strength. I actually timed how long it took to get another round in my single shot 223. A fumbling 2.5+ seconds vs 1 second from a box fed rifle. I really like my Sightron, nicest scope I own.

Got the rifle, its big. The barrel doesn't fit in the forend. It is the same contour as my 12fv, girls thick. The aluminum in the stock is nice, runs up to the front sling mount. I filed out the barrel channel to fit, kinda bs when you pay this much.

Basic Member
    With a mild load, 225's going 2870fps, this is a *****cat. My first braked rifle, they built a neat setup.

Basic Member
    Yeah with the brake they're really not bad at all. The LRH with stout loads is still a little stiff on the shoulder after shooting quite a few rounds because it's fairly light, relatively speaking. The 112 though, is real easy on the shoulder with its extra heft plus the brake. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Basic Member
    I may have to take the plunge someday.

I thought about one until I saw what Dies, brass and bullets would cost along with having to go through a lot of powder in that big case. I shot one and really liked it just couldn't afford to feed it!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I thought about one until I saw what Dies, brass and bullets would cost along with having to go through a lot of powder in that big case. I shot one and really liked it just couldn't afford to feed it!
    It would be best to think about it a bit longer.
    And before you take the plunge, sit behind a few different 338s with some good tripod mounted optics and watch as they are being shot at some serious distance.
    Thats what separates the hoop from the hoopla.
    Ill give you a clue, if it wont turn up at least 3000 fps with the 300 gr bullets, build a big 30 cal instead.

Team Savage
    I'm running a Burris Xtr on mine. Love the scope. It has been mounted for several years now so no problems with them holding up.
    Have fun with the new rifle!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Lordy, thats the truth. Watching 86gr drop is painful. 50 cents each for mediocre bulltets is crazy, good ones are 70-99 pennies each. I would go 9 twist 30 cal if I had a do over.

Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    I'm running a Burris Xtr on mine. Love the scope. It has been mounted for several years now so no problems with them holding up.
    Have fun with the new rifle!
    Burris was on my list. I went with a Bushnell dmr2.

Now some more 110lrh stock drama. I pulled the action, found fretting/aluminum powder on the sides and rear action screw, none on the front. I believe the action is resting on the recoil lug, not the action. Peice of sh!te... now I can shim the front and bed the action, grind recoil lug shorter, or grind out the stock. I don't want to grind the aluminum stock, rather leave as much meat there as I can. Just now thought to use clay to check how much its fubar. Saga continues.

Basic Member
    Before all the ammunition/reloading scare, components really weren't that bad. Like anything else, if you want bigger though it's going to cost. I don't shoot mine as much as smaller calibers so it isn't too bad. I fast 30 cal will do the job too, but I've always had an affection for larger than 30 calibers, especially the 338's. I have a couple 338 win mags but wanted something that could shoot the 250 grainers faster so that's why I went with the Lapua. As for only doing it if it will shoot 300 grains at 3000fps? You can get 250's to that but not the 300's. I'm not even sure the 338-378 Weatherby will quite get there with 300 grainers. May be close.

Basic Member
    If you can afford feeding the 338LM, it’s a fantastic caliber. Had a savage 338LM for awhile fed it with 285 Hornady rounds. 10 for 10 hits at 1000 yards. But the savage being a bit light, shoulder fatigue started around 10 rounds. Sold it to fund a RPR 338LM. What a sweet rifle. Being heavier, no shoulder fatigue. Almost cried when I sold it. Multiple back surgeries dictated to sell it. Miss it for sure. Keep it if you can afford to feed it!
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Range report

Started the day with a 12fv 223 bolt gun in a heavy wood stock. First shot from the 338lm with a 300gr bullet and 79.xgr of h4831 was a shock ha ha. The push of the gun just kept going. It will be interesting when I put 90+ gr powder with the same bullet. Shot some 225sst fireforming loads at 600yds with gwt brass, terrible accuracy, grouping like a shotgun. Only shot one group on paper, these were lapua brass. Three shots touching and two hanging out. This is a big improvement from my last trip, I think bedding the stock helped. I checked action torque after 10 shots, it held tight.

I'm liking the 338lm, the energy on the 600yd swinger was impressive.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, keep it coming.