Thread: Stock for short action Hog Hunter?

Basic Member

Stock for short action Hog Hunter?

I have a Hog Hunter in .308 which is decently accurate. It's a 1 MOA gun with factory hunting ammo. The only issue I have is the cheap plastic stock. I have a feeling a better stock would wring a little more accuracy out of it. This rifle has a blind magazine. Thing is,, this is a walk-around gun that needs to stay light. I'm not interested in a chassis or heavy varmint/target stock. Does anyone make a lightweight drop in stock for it that will accommodate its heavier barrel?

ETA: I'd prefer a composite stock over wood.

Try a Boyd's Pro Varmint in anything but black. No seriously I really enjoy the one I bought.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Try a Boyd's Pro Varmint in anything but black. No seriously I really enjoy the one I bought.
    How much do their stocks weigh? Doesn't look like they say. Also the stock you recommend is not listed as compatible with the HH. I probably would prefer a composite stock. I'll update the OP. Thanks.

If it's a true 1 minute hunting rifle with factory ammo then that's pretty darn good.
    A hunting rifle with factory ammo that fires 5 rounds center to center into a 1" square time after time, despite what you read on the internet, is no small feat.
    Just my .02 but it sounds like everything is doing what it should.
    Not sure if it would improve on that but if it shoots that well then maybe try bedding the factory unit?
    Might be worth the cost of some shoe polish and JB weld to find out.
    Something else to try that wont cost a dime and could very well make the difference you're looking for is torque tuning the action screws. I've had good luck doing it on more than one occasion. Savage Action Screw Torque Tuning within AccurateShooter.com

Of course if you just want a new stock then it is what it is, but IMO with a new stock you're just as likely to change the harmonics of your setup and go backwards as forwards.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Sent you a PM regarding an Accu-Stock with 4.40" spacing that I have for sale.

Basic Member
    I guess not much has changed in the last couple of years regarding support for Savage from stock manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
    I have a Hog Hunter in .308 which is decently accurate. It's a 1 MOA gun with factory hunting ammo. The only issue I have is the cheap plastic stock. I have a feeling a better stock would wring a little more accuracy out of it. This rifle has a blind magazine. Thing is,, this is a walk-around gun that needs to stay light. I'm not interested in a chassis or heavy varmint/target stock. Does anyone make a lightweight drop in stock for it that will accommodate its heavier barrel?

ETA: I'd prefer a composite stock over wood.
    I have a 110 Hog Hunter in 350 Legend and it has a removable magazine. How old is yours?

Randie
    Fort Smith, AR

8. 02-10-2021, 06:55 PM

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCoulter52 View Post
    I have a 110 Hog Hunter in 350 Legend and it has a removable magazine. How old is yours?

Randie
    Fort Smith, AR
    I'm guessing I bought it the first year they were available. Just a guess, but maybe 10 years ago?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
    How much do their stocks weigh? Doesn't look like they say. Also the stock you recommend is not listed as compatible with the HH. I probably would prefer a composite stock. I'll update the OP. Thanks.
    Boyds has a stock for your rifle. They don't call it a Hog Hunter but it's a Model 10 receiver. You know you have a short action with blind magazine. Just determine if it is center feed or stagger feed, top bolt release or bottom bolt release, and your barrel contour. Then use their stock configurator to get at the correct stock for your rifle.

I agree there are several Boyds stocks that will fit but he did say he preferred a composite. Stockade, Mc or maybe a manners. Then there is the Accufite stocks that are light and sufficient for hunting. The odd barrel profile means you may have to use a varmint contour barrel channel. Had one in a VLP stock and one in a H-S also. Handsome!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Stock for short action Hog Hunter?

As said a real 1moa gun is pretty good
    Stiffen that stock up and bed it.
    Might get better
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did go through the action screw torque tests awhile back but it didn't make much of a difference. It is a MOA gun. Which for hunting is fine. I built a 110 in .270 with $65 stainless barrel from Numerich and put it in a B&C stock and it shoots just about 1 hole at 100 yards, so I guess I'm spoiled. Maybe I'll just leave it alone.