Thread: Accustock compatibility

Basic Member

Accustock compatibility

I was wondering on the compatibility of a Savage Accu-Stock that was originally for a short action Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308. This stock has the 4.40" spacing and is cut for the detachable box magazine. The Precision Carbine had the bottom bolt release and was the type of Accu-Stock that had the wedge type of block to grab onto the recoil lug. I thought that this would pretty much be compatible with any short action with the 4.40" receiver screw spacing be it with or without side bolt release. The only thing you would need to do is replace the trigger guard if you had a side bolt release. Are there differences in the recoil lug between an Accu-Stock and a standard stock barreled action? Pic shows the inside of the stock and the clamp for the recoil lug. Any knowledge on compatibility would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

On edit, disregard, I don't know.

Basic Member
    I also have a short action dbm bottom bolt release accustock. Yes the recoil lug is different so you can't put a standard recoil lug into an accustock. You can easily web search for pictures and differences I really don't want to take my rifles out of their stocks and screw around with them. Look at the below thred.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...l-lug-question

Despite the corny names, I think the accustock is a winner along with the accufit and accutrigger. The forearm is plenty stiff and you don't need to bed the action. And I've never pillar bedded and you don't have to worry about that either.

Just me.

Team Savage
    The pictured Accustock would fit any SA (4.40”) Savage Action with bottom bolt release. You would have to swap out standard Savage recoil lug to an Accustock recoil lug. A top bolt release Savage SA would not fit unless you Dremel out a slot for the top bolt release sear arm. I would just remove the earlier Accustock wedge.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I was not aware of the two different recoil lugs or the necessity of relieving the stock for the side bolt release. I thought that the flat on the side of the side bolt release receiver might allow the clearance for the bolt release lever since the bottom bolt release did not have the flat and was fully round. Thanks again for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was not aware of the two different recoil lugs or the necessity of relieving the stock for the side bolt release. I thought that the flat on the side of the side bolt release receiver might allow the clearance for the bolt release lever since the bottom bolt release did not have the flat and was fully round. Thanks again for the clarification.

JP is right. It is no big deal but assemble it and check. Clearance as needed. The bolt release/sear can not have its motion impeded with any drag or contact with the stock. If it is not free to move unimpeded, you may have primer ignition issues.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    The LA Accrustock that I have acquired does not have the recoil lug wedge, it just has a slot the lug fits into. What's the story there?

I don't remember seeing a accrustock recoil lug, where do I get one? I thought I would try grinding an old one down to fit. Anybody done that?

The standard trigger guard fits, and I am going to try to fit a stagger feed action into one. Wonder if the stagger feed magazine will fit? Or do I do a lot of grinding? Figured I'd make a floor plate with epoxy.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    The LA Accrustock that I have acquired does not have the recoil lug wedge, it just has a slot the lug fits into. What's the story there?

I don't remember seeing a accrustock recoil lug, where do I get one? I thought I would try grinding an old one down to fit. Anybody done that?

The standard trigger guard fits, and I am going to try to fit a stagger feed action into one. Wonder if the stagger feed magazine will fit? Or do I do a lot of grinding? Figured I'd make a floor plate with epoxy.

Bill

I believe the wedge type was the early version of the Accustock. It changed at some point. I don't recall when. I have a .223 PC (OP has the .308) that is the newer style without the wedge.

Team Savage
    The Accustock recoil lug has parallel sides and looks a tad shorter than a standard recoil lug. Check Midway USA to purchase. Grinding on the Accustock rail or standard recoil lug kind of defeats the accuracy potential of the platform IMO.

Team Savage
    jpdown, I understand not grinding on the bedding rail and etc. But why would altering a standard lug cause a problem?

Bill

Basic Member
    I measured my lug that came with my rifle with a pair of calipers and it was extremely consistent. I would try to buy the low dollar easy option as in the actual factory replacement and see if it fits your bill. Otherwise, you can use it as a template for the machinist who alters your other aftermarket options to fit the accustock. I looked and ptg does have a lug with parrellel sides and thin enough to fit in the accustock notch (basically their thinnest one). A machinist quoted me 15-20 dollars to machine it to match my factory lug. But like I say it was unnecesary.

Team Savage
    Who's to say, the benefits of swapping out a Savage factory recoil lug with an precision ground recoil lug and barrel nut may be marketing hype. "Grind away" and let us know how it works out. You're not the first person to give it a try before aftermarket Accustock recoil lugs became readily available.

Basic Member
    I'm not saying it's marketing hype. I'm saying that instead of automatically doing something based on hearsay, measure it yourself and see if it's good or bad. Even if it's bad you'll at least have a template.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    I once modified an Accustock to fit a top bolt release action. I used the tapered end of a rat tailed file to relieve the inside of the stock. There are better tools to do this with but it's what I had on hand and it got the job done. As stated above, just be sure there is no interference with the moving parts.

Team Savage
    Bill2905, sent you a PM.

Basic Member
    I literally just modded a precision ground lug I had to match a accu-stock recoil lug. I simply took the accu-stock lug, set it over the other lug, traced the outline and then milled it out with my mill. I did have to do a little finish grinding to complete the shape and make the round corners and round upper profile. I then milled the front of the slot in the stock to fit the thicker lug.