Thread: Savage Striker 516

Savage Striker 516

Hello,
    Have a Striker model 516. Thumbhole laminate, mid trigger. What are my options for a new trigger? Rifle Basix told me the Sav-1 would work. Guess i need help with it because I don't see how it could. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Basic Member
    Can I ask why you want to replace the trigger, I have the same set up in .308 and the trigger is great.

Basic Member
    Sounds like incorrect information to me. The Striker was doomed with a bum trigger since its inception. I've played with mine until I gave up, there is a reason the guys build off the XP's

Basic Member
    Ive used those Basic triggers on both of my Strikers. Basically you just cut off the trigger shoe " curved part". After that cut is made you will then see how it just swaps out for the same piece on the factory set up. Easy to do and one reason a Dremel and cut off wheel comes in handy.

Wow. That's surprising. I have adjusted mine down to 3 pounds, 1 oz. with no overtravel.

Yes some of the down falls of the striker is the trigger to most people. Best I remember they made 3 versions of triggers 2 are in fact crap mushy as a marshmallow, the one with the roller can be made pretty good set as a 2 stage trigger. Odd man out here for long range shooting I prefer my Strikers over my XP’s for silhouette shooting I prefer the Xp and yes the Xp is way more Sexy there’s nothing pretty about the Striker wood or Tupperware butt ugly, but that makes it way more fun when out shoot a pretty custom built rifle with a ugly duckling Striker lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on which factory Striker trigger set up you have I think they made like 3 different one’s if you got the one with the Roller (all mine do) you can be a happy camper, if your unlucky and got one of the hinge pin setups that was designed by someone that was probably fired by Ford after they designed the Pinto sorry about your luck
    All this is just my option but I value my option more than I value the option of the person that designed hinge pin Striker Trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Mine is the early roller style. Using the slipperiest lubes I can find it will not adjust up worth a hoot. My next step is a thinner wire when I find time.

Basic Member
    Outlawsix: I've seen pictures of the conversion of the Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger but I don't see/understand how it works/improves the trigger pull. Can you elaborate? Thanks

Basic Member
    Detailed, in depth instructions from an old(!) post on Specialty Pistols Forum is the best I've ever read. Maybe someone can dredge it up and copy here. My first striker trigger (series?), don't know which of 3, is as good as any trigger on my CZ and savage rifles, I got lucky.

I'm switching out and selling barrels this weekend from .221fb to .223 factory 9 twist for hunting. But not screwing around with the trigger...it's better than most factory settings I've shot.

Basic Member
    The trigger on my 516 is 'no better / no worse' than the trigger on my XP100R. I've done nothing more than clean, lightly lube, and adjust both.
    I'm satisfied with my 516.

The Sav 1 uses coil springs which can be adjusted lighter while keeping pressure on the parts. The wire spring savage used is a bit stiff and if you lose contact with it trying to go lighter it will fail to reset or slip and fire while closing the bolt. At a minimum the savage wire spring needs to be changed to a lighter wire.
    First generation uses slide bars the roller barrel on the back of the sear release
    Second generation uses a rocker bar pivoting off the mag well to trip the front of the sear release
    Third generation uses a double trip bar trying to take out some if the play the single bar had. this is the least common to find.
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 02-16-2022 at 08:46 PM.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor