Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wait for impulse

The wait for impulse

Hopefully, Savage will be rolling these out soon. Can't stand it when manufacturers promote the release of something then it takes a year or more. Kind of like the Sig Cross. Have seen a handful of this for sale and definitely not one in 277 Sig. Just bored hoping savage actually gets them shipping soon.

Team Savage
    I saw a 308 hog hunter for sale, but am waiting for a 243 caliber predator model.
    Since my predator season ends in less than two weeks, I'm not in a big rush to get one now, but that won't stop me from jumping on one if it comes up for sale tomorrow.
    Savage said they'll be out in March of 2021, so they have 15 days to make good on that claim.

Team Savage
    The initial wait is over for my 243 impulse predator to become available, Now I'm waiting for it to be shipped to my FFL.
    Maybe just maybe it might get here before the 28th and I can get to hunt with it before the season ends.

Let us know what you think about the Impulse when you get it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Glad to hear an impulse has been found! Of course I was getting jittery and ordered a benelli 20ga. Effectively draining the secret gun fund!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Glad to hear an impulse has been found! Of course I was getting jittery and ordered a benelli 20ga. Effectively draining the secret gun fund!!

Secret gun funds are a myth. Wink wink nod nod
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Not really hyped on this action but later down the road when the
    used one's hit the street, I'd like to look into making an Urban
    pump, similar to the ol' 760 Remmy, but in Mil dress
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Waiting for a Big Game, 300 win mag... uugghh..

Starting to see some on gun broker. 308 predator some 6.5s and 308 hog hunters.

Basic Member
    Think the impulse is really intriguing. Don't think I will get one as soon as I see one in stock, but sure at some point I'll have to get one just to play with/take apart and look at the engineering.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewsben View Post
    Think the impulse is really intriguing. Don't think I will get one as soon as I see one in stock, but sure at some point I'll have to get one just to play with/take apart and look at the engineering.
    I have one more Nuisance coyote to deal with, then I'll be taking my Impulse apart to have the barrel fluted.
    I'll post pics when I'm in the process.

Team Savage
    Here's some pics on how to remove the barrel.
    Pics are out of wack and I can't get then to go in the sequence I want them to.
    Pic 3;
    Shows the three lower bolts that need to be loosened.
    The 4th offset bolt to the right of the three secures the cross post that indexes and secures the barrel extension to the receiver.

Pic 4;
    Shows the cross pin removed.

Pic 1;
    Shows the barrel Assy pulled slightly out, to show the recess area for the cross bolt and how the barrel lug mate's to the receiver and extension.

Pic 2;
    Shows the receiver and barrel Assy apart.

All of the bolts are the same size and thread, so no worry about messing up their orientation.
    It took 25 lbs of torque to loosen them and no thread locker on any of the bolts.
    None of my barrel nut wrenches fit the barrel nut and I gave up trying to separate the extension from the barrel, as I was trying to do it with a pair of large channel lock pliers, with masking tape to keep from marring the nut.
    The nut must have some type of thread locker, as it wasn't budging.
    Since I'm leaving it a .243, I'm not to concerned about it not coming apart.
    Now I need to figure out who I'm going to use to flute the barrel.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1309.jpg   IMG_1310.jpg   IMG_1303.jpg   IMG_1308.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    Here's some pics on how to remove the barrel.
    Pics are out of wack and I can't get then to go in the sequence I want them to.
    Pic 3;
    Shows the three lower bolts that need to be loosened.
    The 4th offset bolt to the right of the three secures the cross post that indexes and secures the barrel extension to the receiver.

Pic 4;
    Shows the cross pin removed.

Pic 1;
    Shows the barrel Assy pulled slightly out, to show the recess area for the cross bolt and how the barrel lug mate's to the receiver and extension.

Pic 2;
    Shows the receiver and barrel Assy apart.

All of the bolts are the same size and thread, so no worry about messing up their orientation.
    It took 25 lbs of torque to loosen them and no thread locker on any of the bolts.
    None of my barrel nut wrenches fit the barrel nut and I gave up trying to separate the extension from the barrel, as I was trying to do it with a pair of large channel lock pliers, with masking tape to keep from marring the nut.
    The nut must have some type of thread locker, as it wasn't budging.
    Since I'm leaving it a .243, I'm not to concerned about it not coming apart.
    Now I need to figure out who I'm going to use to flute the barrel.

SJC
    Great information, thanks!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

New Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

New here, first post, first personally owned Centerfire Rifle.
    Will have an Impulse Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor some time next week. Need to get optics on it for close out to 500 yd. hunting. Also fit a bipod and sling.

Already got a few 5 and 10 round AICS style magazines, and some Carlson 6.5 Creedmoor Snap Caps to exercise the manual of arms and test the magazines before I get to the shooting range.

VERY open to suggestions or advice, I'm a long way from knowing it all, that's for sure!

Team Savage
    Congrats.
    The impulse is a good first rifle.
    I prefer using the 5rd metal AICS magazines, as the 10rd magazines stick out to far for comfortable field use, especially when firing in the prone position.
    As far as optics go, hold your nose and pick, or throw a dart at the wall.
    How much do you have available to spend ?
    Is it going to be a casual plinking or a hunting rifle ?
    Your also going to need a one or two piece mount/rings for it, plus ammo.
    6.5CM ammo is pretty hard to come by these days.
    Buying it was the easy part.
    SJC

Just checked on GunBroker yesterday and all that was listed were three Hog Hunters. At this point I've given up trying to get one from Savage after being jerked around by them since January. Given the ammo/components shortage I've basically decided I probably won't be doing any reviews this year as I'm not burning up my limited personal stashes of stuff not knowing if/when I'll be able to replenish it or how many organs I'll have to sell to be able to afford it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I hear you.
    I was on the waiting list at all of the major distributors since I heard about the impulse.
    I checked GB and the other usual suspects daily for months waiting for a 243 predator impulse to pop up.
    Called Savage many times for more info than what was out there on the web, but they were tight lipped too.
    I even considered getting a 308 hog hunter on GB a couple of time's, but since I didn't need the rifle, I waited for what I wanted.
    Bud's made it happen and it was worth the wait.
    I've killed two coyote using the 70 grn Nos BT, but both ran before expiring, So I'm going to test some heavier bullet's (85-95 grn) after I get the fluted barrel back.

SJC

Basic Member
    Who is doing the barrel fluting on your .243 Predator?

How much weight reduction are you expecting?
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by E6Chevron View Post
    Who is doing the barrel fluting on your .243 Predator?

How much weight reduction are you expecting?
    I have a local smith doing the work and I'm going with straight fluting, instead of spiral fluting.
    I know there's a website that will estimate the weight reduction, but I don't know the amount or what size/depth the flutes will be to determine that.
    I just dropped off the barrel and asked for him to remove as much weight as possible, without compromising it.

Basic Member
    Interesting engineering. I wonder if we will see any aftermarket barrels that would come with the barrel extension? For those calibers that use the same size bolt head, that would make for a very fast switch barrel rifle.

Basic Member
    I think the barrel change will be accomplished with 2 parts:

A Barrel with Extender, and a bolt head as a matched pair, with appropriate headspacing already set by adjusting the threading of the barrel into the extension, and checking the headspace.

The Impulse Hexlock bolt action lockup arrangement, locks into the grooves in the short or long shank extension.

This allows the Impulse to use 110 style barrels.

The bolt head can be removed from the Bolt in about a minute, without tools. This is described in section 2.7 of the owners manual. https://www.savagearms.com/DAM/asset...01-28-3633.pdf
    Last edited by E6Chevron; 05-11-2022 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Was wrong about function of barrel extension.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Basic Member
    There are NO 6.5 Impulses for sale anywhere.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    There are NO 6.5 Impulses for sale anywhere.
    I looked on every gun auction site and there aren't any Impulses in any caliber for sale !

Are there any hints about bolt heads for the 7.62x39 and its many offspring?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E6Chevron View Post
    I think the barrel change will be accomplished with 2 parts:
    A Barrel with Extender, and a bolt head as a matched pair, with appropriate headspacing already set. Because of the Hexlock action lockup arrangement, I do not think barrels from non-Impulse models can be used in the Impulse.

The bolt head can be removed from the Bolt in about a minute, without tools. This is described in section 2.7 of the owners manual. https://www.savagearms.com/DAM/asset...01-28-3633.pdf

I don't think that's correct. I have read seveal places and seen seen Savage YouTube videos where they have said that all barrels that use their barrel nut system will work. This is providing they use the same shank size, which is the large shank. The head bolts of course do not interchange but the barrels do. The head spacing is accomplished the same way as before, by adjusting the barrel in or out and using Go, No-Go gauges then tightening the barrel nut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast