Thread: Axis aftermarket magazine catch dimensions

Axis aftermarket magazine catch dimensions

Recently decided to make a laminated stock for a newly-acquired Axis 243. I'm mostly finished the woodworking portion, currently working on the two metal parts needed, namely the magazine catch and trigger guard. Planning on making them out of aluminum stock.

Can someone with access to an aftermarket mag catch please help me out? Can even be a plastic catch, although I only need the dimensions of the upper portion if plastic is what you have, no need for the smaller diameter bottom extension. I assume that the main hole is 3/8" (.375") diameter while the bottom of the "well" has a 1/4" opening.

Photo below on the dimensions I need. My best ESTIMATES are: X= .900", Y=.540" and Z=.350" , I'm sure I'm way off, hence for the request for help. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    This is for an aftermarket alum one just like your pic...

X= .888"
    Y= .510"
    Z= .503"

Top hole is .388", bored down .41"
    2nd hole is .25"
    Side tabs protrude .216" from bottom of slope
    Top lip thickness is .125"
    Shaft that protrudes into stock is .55" diameter
    Length opposite of X axis is .97"

Thank you so much celltech, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Exactly was a was looking for, very much appreciate your prompt and detailed help.

Long time lurker but first time poster on this site. Incredible amount of information and esoterica regarding all things Savage, not to mention the kindness of the members of the community.

Basic Member
    No problem...and be sure to post pics of your final product. Wish I had the tools to make my own!

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    No problem...and be sure to post pics of your final product. Wish I had the tools to make my own!
    Here's where I am up to this point, put some water on the bare wood just so I could cheat and not have to imagine what the grain will look like, after I'm done. I call this monstrosity a Sakvage Axis stock since from the grip-back I use the dimensions of a Sako AV that fits me like a glove and grip-forward is an near exact copy of the factory Axis Tupperware stock.

As far as tools go, I have absolutely no stockmaking ones, just hackin-away with general woodworking tools I already have. About 90% of the work I've done has involved using a 1/4" chisel, a coarse wood rasp and an orbital sander. Living in Canada makes it almost impossible to get parts delivered from the US, hence the cry for help... Also, amidst this pandemic, I've had to rely almost exclusively on curbside pickup from my local big-box store for materials, notice the fancy 1/4" bolts sequestered as action screws...

Basic Member
    Amazing work there....you have far more patience than I do.

Basic Member
    Same here. And welcome to the board. Should be beautiful when you are done.

Basic Member
    What kind of wood?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    What kind of wood?
    Sorry, should have mentioned it in original post, it's Birch.

Basic Member
    It has nice grain for birch, at first I thought it was fir. Birch typically won't take oil base stain very well, but anilin dyes work well.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks to the valuable help of celltech, I managed to piece together a working aluminum magazine catch. Used some scrap aluminum angle as well as raiding a friend's aluminum rod scraps. Not pretty but functional, still need to file, sand and probably blue it using Birchwood Aluminum blue.
    The sanding and shaping of the wood portions of the stock have ceased until such time as I get the magazine catch and trigger guard in place.

Basic Member
    Glad to see it's progressing along!

Excellent work, bravo!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Thanks for everyone's kind words. FINALLY done and I'm 75% happy with it. Started with subpar wood so the uneven staining detracts from the overall picture. It is however 100% functional and custom-made to fit. It was an exercise in patience for sure and I'm happy that I finished it, had many times considered abandoning it just way too much work for an amateur. Kudos to all the pro gunstock makers out there, you deserve more credit and money...

Quote Originally Posted by Lakon View Post
    Thanks for everyone's kind words. FINALLY done and I'm 75% happy with it. Started with subpar wood so the uneven staining detracts from the overall picture. It is however 100% functional and custom-made to fit. It was an exercise in patience for sure and I'm happy that I finished it, had many times considered abandoning it just way too much work for an amateur. Kudos to all the pro gunstock makers out there, you deserve more credit and money...

Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

That is very nice. Please, approximately how many hours (not including the catch)?

Quote Originally Posted by barrelnutjimmy View Post
    That is very nice. Please, approximately how many hours (not including the catch)?
    Did not keep any sort of tabs but if I were to estimate I'd say between 60-80 hours. Definitely a lockdown-friendly project!

Basic Member
    Nice work!

Great looking but I would like to know how it shoots?

Basic Member
    That is excellent!