Thread: Savage Elite Precision in whatever caliber

Basic Member

Savage Elite Precision in whatever caliber

So I bought a Savage Elite Precision in 300 PRC and got it cheap I expect because you can't buy ammunition for it. You'd have better luck trading a kidney on Gunbroker for a box of ammo. The thing retails for $2,199.00. I paid $1,625.00, no tax, no CC fee, no shipping. So I'm heavily invested in Savage. I have more than a few barrels, bolt heads and just about anything else. I thought the magazine might even work but that didn't pan out as there are two ribs in the front that prevent my intended cartridge from fitting. It then occurred to be that this uses AICS mags. I've never used one of these type of rifles before so it didn't click. I went over to Brownells and they had Accurate Mags AICS magazines for the 300 Remington Ultra Mag for for $80.00. Which is freakin' lot of money but if it fit....well it does.

I guess I'm pointing out the obvious to everyone. This MDT chassis will accommodate virtually any barrel size or shape. The bolt head can be switched out to virtually anything. I think I have one for every diameter, all of them dressed out with SSS extractor/Ejector kits. I use an NSS barrel lug and barrel nut. The MDT chassis will take any AICS 3.850 magazine and if that doesn't work out. I can use an AICS single shot adapter. There are only two chassis screws and they are so easy to get to and drop the action from the chassis.

I'm now thinking this rifle is really versatile. However, with the Tract Toric 4-20x50 scope and mandatory bipod, it weighs as much as my dog and doesn't have any mode of self propulsion what so ever. Once at the bench, shooting giant cartridges that's a good thing but man just toting it around makes you think you're in the Olympics. On the plus side I can afford to shoot it as I have all the makings for a half a dozen cartridges that ammo you almost can't beg, buy or steal and a rifle that will make one hole at almost any range. Now, all I have to do is hire a gun bearer

Basic Member
    Guess you have an excuse to get in shape now. Carry the dog with one arm and the rifle with the other...

Gotta keep the balance.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    My rifle probably weights almost 10 lbs with scope and rings. That's heavier than most people consider a hunting rifle. But for me I like it. If I'm going to walk around with 30 lbs of extra fat and whatever other gear then I might as well carry an extra 2 lbs of rifle so I can hit things easier.

But your setup is well heavier than mine. Not many people would call it a hunting setup. Sounds like not you either. Yeah, the snipers carry them around. But, man, they are in a lot better shape than me and more than likely you.