Thread: My first semi-custom build.

My first semi-custom build.

After a long time of pinching pennies and reading all kinds of articles on the internet, I think I am finally ready to build my semi-custom rifle off of a Savage action. I have assembled rifles for friends but this one will be for me.

The Caliber that I am planning is 22-250 with the intention to shoot 53 and 55 grain bullets for varmints as well as 65 grain Sierra SBT bullets for targets. I am open to suggestions if you feel the caliber is out of line. Main use will be informal medium range Target shooting with friends as well as hunting coyotes and ground hogs with some high volume prairie dog shoots mixed in there as well.

For some reason itÂ’s about impossible to find a new right bolt right port model 12 Target action with 3 screws. If I canÂ’t come up with one, I thought about repurposing my model 12FV that is currently a .223. I know I would need to change the bolt face as well as the blind mag. I can not for the life of me find a blind mag online. Could someone point me in the right direction? IÂ’m not sure I care for the look of a single shot sled in the action, but then again I have never seen one up close.

I will be bedding either action in a stock with an aluminum bedding block with pillars and if I end up using my 12FV action, I will get a heavy duty aftermarket recoil lug.

What advice would you give? I want to do this right the first time and not be constantly tweaking or changing things once I get it built. What have you done or seen done on rifles that your glad you did or wish you would have done?

I will post pictures as the build progresses but I donÂ’t foresee the build being done quickly because of the availability and lead time associated with products that make up our builds.

As always I appreciate the sound, honest, and respectful answers this forum is known for giving.

Thank you for your time,
    Uncle Jimmy

Basic Member
    I turned a 12FV .223 into a fast twist (1:8) .22-250 to shoot 80gr bullets and absolutely love it. The blind mags are nothing more than an external mag with the base plate pulled off. If you just wanted to find an original internal setup I bet somebody on this forum has one lying around as a ton of 12FV were bought.

But the thing I liked most was going away from the internal mag...always hated loading that thing. I put mine in an Oryx chassis and have not looked back.

The other thing you will need besides the bolt face is the shorter baffle so you can get a full bolt stroke. Both parts are cheap...

Look forward to seeing your build...good luck!

Basic Member
    I upgraded my 12FV .223 with a new Shilen barrel, NSS lug and barrel nut and put it all in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. I also added a single shot feed ramp from SSS for ease of loading. I used the follower from the blind mag to support the new ramp.

My primary advice would be for you to build the rifle that you want. If you can't find the target action, go halfway and convert your 12FV to the 22-250 that you want. If the itch for a target action never goes away, you can still get one some day and build that 22-250 rifle from the components that you already own.

Just a question. What do you plan on doing with a 22-250 that you can’t do with a .223?

Cheers

And take pictures of the build! I’m excited to see it.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to each one that has posted.

I did not know that I would have to change the baffle. Not a big deal-just learn something new every day.

The reason to go from a 223 to a 22-250 is for the speed. Speed is not needed for the type of Target shooting I will be doing cause it is just informal where the only thing on the line is bragging rights. I am mainly looking for the speed for the occasional coyote and for increased prairie dog acrobatics. If I am off base or if there is a better caliber that I am missing, please throw it at me. I reload and am willing to try wildcats or any cartridge that NSS sells in prefit barrels. Jim has always been patient and answered my many questions and I intend to give him my business.

Celltech-did you use a sled of some type or did you convert to a different mag system?

The USPS delivered my stock today. A Choate Varmint stock from EA Brown Company. I like it’s strength, feel and comfort. My best friend in Wyoming has one on his 22-250, I fell in love with the stock shooting pdogs from a prone position. His rifle is a RBRP stainless Target action with a 26 inch stainless fluted barrel. He shoots Hornady Superformance 50gr Vmax factory ammo.

Thanks again for the help and information.

UncleJimmy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleJimmy View Post
    Celltech-did you use a sled of some type or did you convert to a different mag system?
    If you are talking about me putting the 12FV into the Oryx chassis, it takes standard AICS mags. I have some Magpul AICS mags that work fine, but they are single stack and pretty long for the given capacity. I much prefer my ARC and MDT double stacks.

Basic Member
    I just finished swapping stocks on a build I did some time ago on a 12fv .223. It’s now a 6CM with a 20in xcaliber 1:7 5R barrel. Great shooting rifle! This was my second 6CM build as the first is wearing a 26” MTU criterion barrel in an oryx chassis. I wanted one for hunting so I built the shorty. I now have a B&C comp stock on it using AICS mags using the accurate mag DBM. I originally had a modified B&C tactical medalist running the blind mag. Worked great, but really wanted mags and didn’t want a chassis on this one. The stock I replaced is also in the pic.

I want to say I found the internal mag for my build on eBay. May also look at gun shack for bolt heads etc.

As far as caliber recommendations, I may be biased, but I would take a look at the 6CM. With a 1:8 you would be able to shoot everything from the light varminting rounds all the way up to probably the 110s. I don’t think you would be able to stabilize 115s. An added bonus, in my neck of the woods, it’s nearly the only factory ammo on the shelf! It will also be easier to source bullets for hand-loading, if you go that route. With everyone grabbing up anything in .224 diameter they can get their hands on, this may also be something to consider. Which ever way you go, good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to each one for the replies.

Work has been busy enough that I have not had time to work on my project.

I will be sure and update as I make progress.