Thread: 110 Ultralight Magazine problem

Question 110 Ultralight Magazine problem

Last week I bought a Savage 110 Ultralight chambered in 28 Nosler. I was having issues with the magazine feeding correctly while breaking in the barrel. The magazine capacity is only 2 rounds. The first round feeds fine but something happens in between chambering the first and the second. The second round gets pushed forward to where the tip of the bullet is popped up over the front lip of the clip. The bolt does not even touch the rim of the end of the cartridge to feed into the chamber. It gets pushed forward about a centimeter.

The magazine fits in to the mag well and does feed the first round ok. The magazine that was sent with my rifle has the following stamped on the magazine: "375 ruger, 300 win mag, caution use only cal stamped on BBL." I am not sure if this is the correct magazine or not, it is obviously not stamped for 28 Nosler. I was curious if this is the magazine that savage is sending out in their rifles for this cartridge, or did the wrong magazine come with my rifle? If it is the wrong magazine then I guess the fix is simple, get the right magazine.

If this IS the correct magazine then what should I try to get the rounds to feed correctly?

Basic Member
    I would get a tool for bending the feed lips from Brownells. It doesn't take much tweaking to get it perfect most of the time.

I'm having the exact same problem that you're having with my 110 Ultralight chambered in 28 Nosler. Savage sent me another mag and it does the exact same thing. I put a break on it and it helped a little as far as the rounds being forced forward in the magazine but never fixed my problem. Very disappointed with the design. Did you ever get the problem fixed with your rifle?

Basic Member
    I have a 110 ultralight in a 280 ai that is doing the exact same thing. Bolt starts to push the round forward but as soon as the nose of the bullet hits the bottom of the case goes down and then the bolt won't catch it. Fast, slow in between no matter what. Brand new and won't work. NOT HAPPY

Basic Member
    So today I looked a little closer. Had a friend measure his 280 ai mag. They were so close in measurements I looked elsewhere. Found the problem. The mag is not going into the well deep enough on the front side. If I hold the mag in tight on the front end every shell feeds perfectly. Not sure how I'm going to fix this problem though.

I would suspect this is a combination of recoil and not enough follower spring tension. If the first round feeds fine from the mag I definitely wouldn't mess with the feed lips as you'd probably end up doing more harm than good. If you're handy you might try making a thin wood spacer to put under the follower/spring to preload the spring a bit. No clue how thick you can go with that mag/round combo though before it will affect capacity. If that works you can make a better version out of delron or aluminum if you feel compelled to.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tom338 View Post
    So today I looked a little closer. Had a friend measure his 280 ai mag. They were so close in measurements I looked elsewhere. Found the problem. The mag is not going into the well deep enough on the front side. If I hold the mag in tight on the front end every shell feeds perfectly. Not sure how I'm going to fix this problem though.
    Same problem here. I put a 1/4 inch wide piece of duct tape on the lower shelf of the follower. Raised the cartridge enough to pick up the last round. Works for now.

Basic Member
    I put some jb weld where the mag latch goes. Not perfect but it fixed my problem like you describe