Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axis in 223

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I don't know if it is necessary or not but I followed the Savage recommended break in procedures and my Axis shoots pretty good. It might have shot just as well without it but if it didn't, I would always question if it would have shot better if I had. It does take a little time and effort to do but I think I would do it again.
    I’ve never used a break in process of any sort and have never had an issue. If groups open up I clean the barrel. That’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My .223 would have shot better, faster if I had taken the time to break it in. It finally settled down to 1/2MOA and less after about 400 rounds.

just finished my 223 build by adding a long baffle from a 10. I wish I'd taken time to set up the mill to remove the indexing tab as my grinding job looks like hammered dog shit. I can still clean it up with the mill so its not a total loss, Midway has the baffles for $5 so its a cheap mod.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    just finished my 223 build by adding a long baffle from a 10. I wish I'd taken time to set up the mill to remove the indexing tab as my grinding job looks like hammered dog shit. I can still clean it up with the mill so its not a total loss, Midway has the baffles for $5 so its a cheap mod.
    Can we see the gun you lost In the boating accident?

Basic Member
    Reminds me of an incident a while back. Father-in-law was Navy and was stationed on Guam during the mid 60's. A friend of his had been stationed there several times (he was married to a local) and had a house there. He was on orders back to the states where he was going to retire and he had a bunch of guns that just would not be legal in the US. Acquired over the years from various islands in the South Pacific. So, they had a boat party. A real one. They took the illegal stuff out to sea and dumped them. Several Thompson sub guns, couple of bazookas, one BAR, Japanese machine gun, etc Even a couple of mortars. Something like 20 items went into the ocean.

And just so it would not go to waste, many of then were fired for the last time before they went over. Even one of the bazookas still had a couple of rounds to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Can we see the gun you lost In the boating accident?

Basic Member
    ninner - Sweet!!

Got out to range on 20-Feb and sighted in at 25 yards. HEAVY trigger, ugh. Returned to range on 21st and shot at 50 yards. Moved through scope power from 3 to 9 and got consistent point of aim. Spent some time on 26th adjusting/reducing trigger pull. Got on 100 yd on range 28-Feb, first shot called flyer, next 4 shots in bullseye for a 1" group. Really looking forward to getting comfortable at 100 and moving out to 200 and 400 yards over next few weeks.

Appreciate the tips provided,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Just a good reminder in you haven’t.

I would.
    Scrub barrel with a brass brush and gritty tooth paste. On a drill with a rod.

Then run a few wet patches down the pipe. Then dry ones. Until clean.

Then I would set the trigger to the pull weight you desire. You can get the stock trigger down to around 2.5# maybe less with some polishing.

A few foul shots and you should be ready to print some groups.

It’s easy and quick to bed the front of the action and recoil lug with JB weld. If it’s a standard recoil lug.
    If it’s an accustock then you should be good to go.

Cheers

Just trying to save a man some ammo since this buying frinzy has prices high.

Basic Member
    Are you still using the 55 grain Winchester? Handloads might shoot better but some factory loads shoot well too.

Basic Member
    Are you still using the 55 grain Winchester? Handloads might shoot better but some factory loads shoot well too.

Not sure if you're asking me, or someone else Mr. S. At any rate, I'm just using the 55g for getting some range time with it. Still working on getting back out there and making some more empty cases. After ~100 or so (might take all 150 of 'em to get 100 to fire though), I'll start experimenting and working up some loads with several different boolits.

If this question was to me, then I have started with American Eagle 55 gr FMJ. I bought 2 boxes of them as the cheapest ammo for rough sighting in use. Got my hands on 400 rounds of Winchester 55 gr FMJ, they will be next up the spout to compare against the AE rounds. Considering starting reloading perhaps in the summer as I expect to shoot more when the days get longer.

Dave

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_375_110 View Post
    If this question was to me, then I have started with American Eagle 55 gr FMJ. I bought 2 boxes of them as the cheapest ammo for rough sighting in use. Got my hands on 400 rounds of Winchester 55 gr FMJ, they will be next up the spout to compare against the AE rounds. Considering starting reloading perhaps in the summer as I expect to shoot more when the days get longer.

Dave
    My Axis shoots the best with the Sierra 77 grain Match King. Charlie B suggested them and they are just ever so slightly better than the 69 grain Sierra Match King. I also shot some 52 grain Hornady that shot pretty well. I tried some 68 grain Hornady and they didn't seem to work very well at all but I can't really say for sure since I didn't shoot many. It might have been an error my part. I will try they again and see what happens. Of course, your rifle may be different but mine and Charlie's seem to work very well with the Sierras.

Basic Member
    Thanks. CFJunkie has a long post on his .223 development efforts. He and I also had trouble with the Hornady 68gn HPBT match bullets. But, the Hornady ELD bullets do very well.

For factory stuff, if you can find it, try Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the Sierra 69gn Matchking bullets (or 77gn if you can find them). They have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

I had bad luck with almost all the less expensive .223 or 5.56 ammo. 1 1/2 to 2" groups were the norm for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12