Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis in 223

Basic Member

Axis in 223

Howdy all. If all goes well tomorrow, my Axis is going to the range for the first time! Just gonna run some 55gr Winchester through it for function and see what happens.

Picked it up new, and got it at a good price ($350). Can't wait to make some empty brass. I'll give it a write up some time shortly!

Y'all take care.

Basic Member
    Welcome and have fun with your new rifle.

Let us know how it shoots.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Monday was a no go. Bummer! Mother Nature didn't cooperate. Next Monday is on the schedule now. Fingers crossed!! Forgot to add that I've got 2 mags for both rifles on the way as well.

Y'all take care

EDIT: Mags got here early (yesterday). Savage marked, and function was fine. Sure don't like the price though - $49 each.
    Last edited by Patrad; 01-29-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: info update

Basic Member
    ****** man!! Mother Nature strikes again Rain early and 15 - 25mph wind. Here we go again with the next Monday thing. 3rd time a charm, and all that.

Y'all take care.

Basic Member
    That's why we like the southwest. Great shooting almost all year long, except when the winds blow in the spring :)

Basic Member
    Been all over the SW, charlie b (several times), Mikee likes it, too! Last time I was working in NM, I was at the Intel plant outside al-ba-cracky. Ah well, can't win 'em all. However, being a bona-fide Native Flor-i-didian, I'm kinda prejudiced towards it! Worked all over the country, and only missed 3 of the lower 48, all of 'em have at least a little bit in their favor. Miss the traveling and working in other states, but it's outta my control.

Basic Member
    We lived in the mountains east of ABQ for 17 years. Grew up in Phx so you could say I am a desert rat at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That's why we like the southwest. Great shooting almost all year long, except when the winds blow in the spring :)
    Yup, I remember some of those 60 mph spring winds in and around Clovis!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

My axis 308 is becoming a 223 when my new to me barrel comes in Friday. It’s been a while since I’ve had a Bolt action 223. Can’t wait to punch some holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my .223, only rifle I shoot now as an old man, easy on the old bones!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandloco View Post
    Love my .223, only rifle I shoot now as an old man, easy on the old bones!
    Old or not. The .223 is capable of logical engagements.

Basic Member
    As I said in my earlier post, I FINALLY made it to the range this morning. Everything worked well, including Mother Nature. I didn't shoot for groups, just breaking in everything. All 3 mags were perfect. Rifle worked perfect. Only complaint is with the ammo. 8 duds outta 54 rounds. this is new Win ammo with a LC 223 Rem headstamp. Based on this (very) small sample, I gotta ask WTH Win is doing with their (lack of) QC?? 8 outta 54 - are you kidding me??? Ah well, can't win 'em all. I'll finish up this box, and see what happens with the rest.

Y'all take care.

Basic Member
    Congratulations.

It may not be the ammo, but, light strikes on the primers. Did you try them a second or third time? Do the primers look like they got a good hit?

charlie

Basic Member
    charlie b: Yes to all of the above. All of the primers had a very good indent - they look the same as all of the ones that went bang. No light strikes at all. Tried all of them 2-3 times. Had one mag where all 4 were duds. And no, that mag worked perfectly except for those 4. 'Preciate your response! And yes, I enjoyed it a bunch. I need to get out there more often.

Basic Member
    I guess that's partly good news, just bad ammo.

Bad news it is still hard to find that ammo. About every 2 or 3 months the local shop gets a shipment of .223 (usually labeled 5.56). At least they don't mark up the price.

Have fun out there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I guess that's partly good news, just bad ammo.

Bad news it is still hard to find that ammo. About every 2 or 3 months the local shop gets a shipment of .223 (usually labeled 5.56). At least they don't mark up the price.

Have fun out there.
    They are two different rounds. 5.56 will make the bolt very hard to lift in some rifles.

Axis in 223

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    They are two different rounds. 5.56 will make the bolt very hard to lift in some rifles.
    Most 556 has hard primers to avoid slam fire in a semi. A SAR 3 will slam fire the hell out of 233 hunting ammo if the action is the least bit dirty.

Basic Member
    Never had any problems with 5.56ammo in my Axis. If you decide to use it you should probably look up what the differences are.

Basic Member
    A bit late to this but I posted here too about FTF with my Axis 223 while using reloads with CCI #41 PRIMERS that are meant for Semi-auto 223/556 and then also having misfires with NATO marked crimped ammo. My Axis does not play well with this stuff. Normal commercial 223 and stuff I loaded with regular SRP all fired as it should.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    A bit late to this but I posted here too about FTF with my Axis 223 while using reloads with CCI #41 PRIMERS that are meant for Semi-auto 223/556 and then also having misfires with NATO marked crimped ammo. My Axis does not play well with this stuff. Normal commercial 223 and stuff I loaded with regular SRP all fired as it should.
    Thanks KMW. I hadn't seen that thread. When I start working up some loads, I'll be using either Win or CCI standard primers anyway, but it's good info to have.

Y'all take care.

New Axis in .223

My new Axis in .223 was delivered Monday, looking forward to getting to the range for sight-in on the weekend. Chance of snow is reasonably low and temps look to be in single digit below freezing here in my area of Ontario, Canada. As long as I remember to take my neoprene hunting seat nothing delicate should stick to the metal seat.

Trigger finger is itching just looking at the gun here in my office.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_375_110 View Post
    My new Axis in .223 was delivered Monday, looking forward to getting to the range for sight-in on the weekend. Chance of snow is reasonably low and temps look to be in single digit below freezing here in my area of Ontario, Canada. As long as I remember to take my neoprene hunting seat nothing delicate should stick to the metal seat.

Trigger finger is itching just looking at the gun here in my office.
    Just a good reminder in you haven’t.

I would.
    Scrub barrel with a brass brush and gritty tooth paste. On a drill with a rod.

Then run a few wet patches down the pipe. Then dry ones. Until clean.

Then I would set the trigger to the pull weight you desire. You can get the stock trigger down to around 2.5# maybe less with some polishing.

A few foul shots and you should be ready to print some groups.

It’s easy and quick to bed the front of the action and recoil lug with JB weld. If it’s a standard recoil lug.
    If it’s an accustock then you should be good to go.

Cheers

Just trying to save a man some ammo since this buying frinzy has prices high.

Thanks hamiltonkiler, appreciate the suggestions.

I swabbed with solvent and then dried. Will now go back over it with brass brush, follow with solvent and dry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post

I would.

Then I would set the trigger to the pull weight you desire. You can get the stock trigger down to around 2.5# maybe less with some polishing.

It’s easy and quick to bed the front of the action and recoil lug with JB weld. If it’s a standard recoil lug.

Cheers

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post

I would.

Cheers

I don't know if it is necessary or not but I followed the Savage recommended break in procedures and my Axis shoots pretty good. It might have shot just as well without it but if it didn't, I would always question if it would have shot better if I had. It does take a little time and effort to do but I think I would do it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast