Thread: Magazine box won’t allow action to fit in stock

Basic Member

Magazine box won’t allow action to fit in stock

I’ve tried two mag boxes in my McMillan stock and both boxes won’t allow the action to fit. The action sit on top of the mag box in the rear. Both magazines are sitting flush on the bottom of the mag well. When I sit the action into the stock without the mag box installed, it fits perfectly. I’ve attached a photo of the action sitting in the stock without the mag box installed, then two photos of the action sitting on the mag box. I could use some help figuring this out. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E991E288-DB47-4D0F-8E4D-11B4F45199C8.jpeg   61E94C96-91A7-4F01-966C-FE5CA34A102A.jpeg   22DEC59E-EDCA-461D-B521-592AE27956AF.jpeg  

Blah Blah Blah

Edited for logical errors
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Taking a second gander, Is your stock is a blind mag? If it is a long action is the stock inletted for a stagger feed or a centerfeed?

If converting from mag, did you take the base off of the mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Taking a second gander, Is your stock is a blind mag? If it is a long action is the stock inletted for a stagger feed or a centerfeed?
    I bought this action from a guy on snipers hide. After some research, I think what happened was the guy who sold me the action told me it was centerfeed, but in fact was a stagger. I’m not sure how to confirm that. It’s a long action and I just bought the action itself. The stock is inletted for centerfeed.

I think that is what we are dealing with. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the action? One of the magazine top also.

Basic Member
    I have a Savage 112 BVSS in 25-06 and just bought a Choate Tactical Custom to put it in. Had what sounds like the same problem. The stagger feed mag that is attached to the bottom of the action would bottom out in the stock magazine well and jam the action so that the bolt would not operate. There is not enough material at the bottom of the stock to router it out without cutting a hole in the bottom. I did not want to deal with the challenges of finding an external mag and bottom metal as well as getting the stock inleted for the bottom metal. I removed the mag and carved a block of wood to fill the mag well and turned the rifle into a single feed. Works great and I get to shoot my rifle.

Who knows? Maybe some time in the future I will get adventurous and look for an external mag and bottom metal. But for now, problem solved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choate Custom Tactical.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	7749