Thread: Gravity is a heartless *****

Basic Member

Gravity is a heartless *****

So I managed to knock the new 110BA barrelled action off my workbench onto the floor (Not that it matters, but it just got a McGowen 26" 284 Win throated for 180ELDM with a MBM Beast muzzle brake installed).

It landed on the trigger assembly. Oy. The action is a 110BA LA I purchased from NSS. The fall (or actually the hard landing :) ) broke off the metal tab at the top rear of the main trigger assembly bracket, it cracked one side of the trigger, and it broke off the oval 'safety' button/slide tab on top. The whole trigger assembly now moves/rotates hinged on the main pin in the front. I talked to James at NSS and he indicated that Savage will not provide any trigger parts to consumers so I will have to go through a licensed gunsmith to get this fixed.

I have tried to call Savage customer service/technical support numerous times but their message just says "we're busy so call back later." and then they hang up.

It seems to me (ignorant) that replacing the whole trigger assembly might be the best option especially if I can replace it with the target precision trigger assembly like I have on my two other Savage precision target actions. Is that feasible?

And I need to find a gunsmith that works on Savage stuff.

Anyone have access to Savage parts/prices? I couldn't find any in my google searches.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Could you post a picture? I guess I am asking if the action itself is OK and it is just the trigger assembly that is busted? If it is just the trigger, I would just replace it with an aftermarket one.

Basic Member
    Here's a couple photos highlighting where the metal tab broke off the main trigger assembly bracket at the top and where the trigger cracked on one side.

http://onewolf.org/Files/IMG_6686.jpg

http://onewolf.org/Files/IMG_6687.jpg

Team Savage

Start checking the classified section for complete accutrigger assemblies.

If you don't have somebody local give Fred a call and see what he can do for turnaround. You could have him time and true it while it is there.

If you decide it is too much I will gladly buy the barrel.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Could you post a picture? I guess I am asking if the action itself is OK and it is just the trigger assembly that is busted? If it is just the trigger, I would just replace it with an aftermarket one.
    Action is fine.

At this point I'm thinking about replacing the trigger assembly with a Rifle Basix SAV-2. https://riflebasix.com/product/savag...trigger-sav-2/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you don't have somebody local give Fred a call and see what he can do for turnaround. You could have him time and true it while it is there.

If you decide it is too much I will gladly buy the barrel.
    I watched the Rifle Basix trigger assembly installation video and it looks pretty straight forward. I will probably go that route.

Good luck,
    And as the fellas at work used to say when things went wrong
    "Got To Be Mo Careful"
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    I watched the Rifle Basix trigger assembly installation video and it looks pretty straight forward. I will probably go that route.
    and it broke off the oval 'safety' button/slide tab on top.

Where are you going to get the safety?

Basic Member
    Looks like you need at minimum all three parts; the trigger, trigger hanger & safety bar.
    The trigger hanger bracket (which the tab is broke) does not come with the Rifle Basix trigger. You will have to get a gunsmith to order one for you or it may be possible to weld the tab back on. Also you may be able to get a replacement safety bar from Midway but it wont have the "oval" slide button, but instead the old style safety (rectangular).
    The smith could order the correct safety from Savage also.

Sad thing being stuck in this "litigating" society.
    Last edited by mnbogboy2; 01-21-2021 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Addition

Basic Member
    As a short term solution, today I moved the trigger assembly from my unused precision target action to the 110LA action. I
    put the rifle back together and it works great. Now I just need to eventually get the trigger assembly fixed while I collect the other pieces/parts for my next rifle (a 6 Creedmoor).

http://onewolf.org/Files/trigger1.jpg

http://onewolf.org/Files/trigger2.jpg

http://onewolf.org/Files/trigger3.jpg

http://onewolf.org/Files/trigger4.jpg

It is grand when you get your baby together. It almost looks like your recoil lug is too long/tall. Can you slide a shim under the action behind the recoil lug?

Basic Member
    I agree. I’ve dropped two barrels in my tenure. Both landed threads down on the concrete floor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It is grand when you get your baby together. It almost looks like your recoil lug is too long/tall. Can you slide a shim under the action behind the recoil lug?

The barrel nut/recoil lug are from NSS and the chassis is an MDT/Oryx. The recoil lug does not "bottom out" in the chassis.

Team Savage
    If you're bench shooting, the Rifle Basix II is cool. If it's for hunting, go with the "standard".
    The II can be VERY sensitive. (as in, don't breath on it)
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.