Thread: Savage Anschutz 30-06

Savage Anschutz 30-06

I just purchased what is supposed to be an Anschutz Savage 110. There are no Savage markings on the action, bolt or barrel. It has ModeLL 110 (not a spelling error) on the action. It has JG Anschutz GmbH waffenfabrik.ulm Germany on the action as well. It has an Anschutz proof mark on the barrel and the action. It also has an anschutz date stamp on the Barrel. 167 meaning January 1967. It has a german style Schnabel stock.
    As near as I can tell it is what was called and Anschutz Luxus 110 and most likely only sold in Europe. The gun looks identical to a Savage Model 110 from that era with a few differences.

There is not much info about Anschutz Savage centerfire rifles. All the info says they will be marked Savage Anschutz or Anschutz Savage. Does anybody know if this gun is all Anschutz or a mix of Savage Anschutz. Before I mess with it it would be good tho know if it is something that should be restored rather than modified.

Those a rare. Does it have the original stock?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I am pretty sure the stock is original although it has been modified unfortunately. I am not sure how to post pics.

Savage was the U.S. importer for Anschutz for a number of years, and I would imagine Anschutz in kind was the German importer for Savage rifles during the same timeframe. How far that collaboration extended beyond importing I couldn't say, but clearly there was some. To bad Bob Greenleaf isn't still with us as he would have known having been an engineer at Savage during that time.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I am almost positive the barrel and the stock were made by Anschutz. The barrel has the Anschutz antler proof mark on it. Both the action and the barrel also have Anschutz eagle proof marks. I am guessing that the savage 110 action may have been shipped to Anschutz but it seems odd that the only markings on the action are the JG Anschutz .............Germany and ModeLL 110 and the Anschutz eagle proof. As far as I can find out it may be possible Anschutz built the 110 action for about 1 year at that time. I will keep trying to find the answers.
    For now I will just clean and shoot it.

Team Savage
    If you want to email or text me some photos, I'll post them here. I'm dying to see what this gun looks like. PM sent.

Team Savage
    Finally some pictures. Check out this old beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Finally some pictures. Check out this old beauty...

Thanks New2
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Dave View Post
    I am almost positive the barrel and the stock were made by Anschutz. The barrel has the Anschutz antler proof mark on it. Both the action and the barrel also have Anschutz eagle proof marks. I am guessing that the savage 110 action may have been shipped to Anschutz but it seems odd that the only markings on the action are the JG Anschutz .............Germany and ModeLL 110 and the Anschutz eagle proof. As far as I can find out it may be possible Anschutz built the 110 action for about 1 year at that time. I will keep trying to find the answers.
    For now I will just clean and shoot it.
    I know Savage shipped a number of Model 99 and 110 actions over to Anschutz in the early 60's to have them engraved, which became the PE models offered from 1966-69. The 110 PEL (left-hand) I used to have had a date stamp for 1962 but the serial number dated to 1966. From what Bob Greenleaf told me only the first batch of the PE's were engraved in Germany, mainly due to turn around time - which accounted for the 4-year difference in the date stamp and S/N on the one I had. The remainder were engraved in Japan. Less than 500 of the engraved 110 PE's were made over the 4-year period.

What I'm wondering is if your Anschutz 110 was built off surplus actions that were shipped over to be engraved but the contract was cancelled before that was done, or if maybe in exchange for the engraving Savage provided Anschutz with a quantity of actions they could build into rifles to sell in the European market. Maybe try contacting Anschutz and see if they can provide any detailed info.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Dave View Post
    Before I mess with it it would be good tho know if it is something that should be restored rather than modified.
    Mess with it how exactly? Other than changing the scope or scope mounts, I would not do anything to it, just leave it as original as you can. (in my opinion anyways)
    I have no idea if your rifle is really collectable or not, but in the world of collectable guns, modifications will detract from it's valve/collectability. Even something like refinishing the stock or rebluing the metal.
    I will say this is the first time I have seen or even heard of this model. I have seen savage Anschutz 22lr rifles, but never centerfire. I personally think it is pretty cool.
    Do you have any pictures of the barrel markings?

How does it shoot?

I wouldn't do anything to it except maybe adjust the trigger if it has adjustments, shoot it, clean it, and apply a light coat of machine oil or CLP to the metal.
    Beautiful rifle.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    According to my notes, I had a conversation with Bob Greenleaf about this subject in 2016. According to him, Savage sent Anschutz slightly less than 1000 actions to be made into hunting rifles for the European market. One of the most popular calibers was the 9.3 x 72R. They also made them in 7x57, 8x57 and .375 H&H. One particular version used double set triggers that Anschutz designed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."