Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you re-barrel this old rifle?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It is a beautiful platform for a 7x57. I would have kept the .30-06 but only because I like to shoot a lot of cast bullets.
    thank you. I agree. I think it's going to make a dandy 7x57 that I will enjoy shooting for a long time.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Yes I can definitely reduce the merits. There is no damm difference. Perhaps an inch of trajectory at hunting ranges and no difference on game.
    I can't argue with that. Between the 7mm-08 and 7x57 there really is no damn difference. Only that the rifle in question is IMO more well suited for the classic old cartridge, and it will maintain it's "cool factor" when rebarreled to 7x57. :D

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Always enjoy discussion of these early 110s, they are quite nice to behold. For me, mine will remain all original as long as I have it because of what it is. I last shot that rifle on Sept 6th 1991 while developing a load for elk so I could use it as a backup for my 7RM "just in case". I figured 1.5" @ 100yds with 180gr Partitions was plenty adequate for the task. Other than an occasional bore swabbing, oiling, and wipe down, that's all it's seen since.

A couple years ago I checked the trigger pull, which I know hasn't been touched since my dad acquired it late '67 or early '68. I was surprised to see a 10 pull average around 3.5lbs and trigger has a nice crisp pull with no creep.

Being a fan of 7mm, I think your choice matches your vintage 110 nicely.
    Thank you Phil. I'm glad you approve. That helps me know I made a good choice.

I sent the barrel off today to McGowan so they can copy the profile. I look forward to seeing their work.

For now, I'm going to leave the barrel without a dovetail and without being drilled and tapped for a front sight. I may choose to add those later, but of course only after the barrel has been properly headspaced and tested. Then I'll know where the proper timing is for those sights if I want to add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Thank you Phil. I'm glad you approve. That helps me know I made a good choice.

I sent the barrel off today to McGowan so they can copy the profile. I look forward to seeing their work.

For now, I'm going to leave the barrel without a dovetail and without being drilled and tapped for a front sight. I may choose to add those later, but of course only after the barrel has been properly headspaced and tested. Then I'll know where the proper timing is for those sights if I want to add them.
    Sounds like its is well on its way. I hope you post the results!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    And that was the question I pondered but didn't ask - how will barrel manufacturer know where to cut dovetail for rear sight so it clocks correctly when properly headspaced. Somehow I knew you had a plan!

Will be nice to see your completed project.

Team Savage
    I realize your project has started, did you consider a 6.5x55? Great old cartridge, but not 7mm. You can always AI the 7x57, As I recall, PO said the 7x57AI gains about as much as any and is definitely more efficient. That is one great looking rifle.

Bill

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    I realize your project has started, did you consider a 6.5x55? Great old cartridge, but not 7mm. You can always AI the 7x57, As I recall, PO said the 7x57AI gains about as much as any and is definitely more efficient. That is one great looking rifle.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. I agree. This is the only one of this vintage I've seen with a hand-checkered walnut (and not some other wood) stock. I'm sure they exist, but it was the stock that really grabbed my attention. That stock only weighs 1 lb. 15 oz. even with the recoil pad on it.

I did consider the venerable 6.5x55. I've owned two of those now. They are sweet shooters. But I wanted to stick with a 7mm since I also load for a 7mm-08, and soon, a .284 Winchester. Some might ask why all the redundancy. I guess I just like 7mm's!

Team Savage
    And that was the question I pondered but didn't ask - how will barrel manufacturer know where to cut dovetail for rear sight so it clocks correctly when properly headspaced. Somehow I knew you had a plan!

Will be nice to see your completed project.
    Thanks. I guess I could have sent in the action with the barrel and had them install it and then cut the dovetail and tap it for the front sight, but honestly I wanted to see what it looked like without the sights, shoot it a while, then decide. I can have that work done locally pretty easily, anytime I want to.

I'll be sure to post pics of the assembled rifle once I get the barrel installed.

Team Savage

7mm is a great choice, in addition to 7RM, I also load for 7-08 and 280. Mine also has hand cut checkering and what I believe to be walnut, but no cheek rest.

Looking forward to upgrade pics!

No, don’t re barrel it. Keep 1 box of 30-06 150gn corlokts and shoot a deer every few years. It’s perfect the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    7mm is a great choice, in addition to 7RM, I also load for 7-08 and 280. Mine also has hand cut checkering and what I believe to be walnut, but no cheek rest.

Looking forward to upgrade pics!
    I learned that this is the 110 "MC" for Monte Carlo. Since I plan to use a scope, I'm glad it is. If I was going to use irons, I'd rather have the original 110 stock. It's tough to see the irons on this rifle because of that cheek riser, but it is perfect with a scope.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    No, don’t re barrel it. Keep 1 box of 30-06 150gn corlokts and shoot a deer every few years. It’s perfect the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about that. But I just don't trust hunting rifles that aren't consistently accurate, and that old '06 barrel was toast. Plus, I have a soft spot for 7x57 (anything 7mm really) and that's an even more classic cartridge than the '06, so to me it fits the intended purpose very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12