Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you re-barrel this old rifle?

Team Savage

Would you re-barrel this old rifle?

I posted here that I recently acquired the prettiest 110 I've ever seen, made in 1960 in Chicopee Falls and still with the "patent applied for" stamp on it. It's in great shape but also well used. Tons of character.

I wish it had been chambered in something other than 30-06 because I'm not a huge fan of that caliber. In fact, I'm rebarreling my long action Lightweight Storm to .284 Win from '06, and this old 110 will be my last '06.

However, I really like this action and stock. So I've been toying with the idea of breaking it down and rebarreling it to 7x57 Mauser. I'm going 7mm these days for all my hunting rifles, and this old rifle just cries out to be converted to 7x57 Mauser.

Would any barrel manufacturer be able to match that factory contour with the swell at the rear sight? Is there any chance they could match the classic old blueing?

Am I nuts to even consider this?

Attachment 7729Attachment 7730Attachment 7731Attachment 7732Attachment 7733Attachment 7734Attachment 7735Attachment 7736Attachment 7729

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/w...tour-Chart.pdf

The only one I know of that might match the same contour would be Shilen. As far as matching the "Blueing" I have no idea on that one.

It is a beautiful rifle, especially for it's age. But I'm with you in wanting to get away from the 30-06.

Basic Member
    This one needs to be saved for posterity.

Pull your bolt out and look at the bolt head. Does it look different from your lightweight storm.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Pull your bolt out and look at the bolt head. Does it look different from your lightweight storm.
    Of course it does. It has the Mauser style ejector and the extractor that clips around the bolt face. I love this setup, which is why I'm considering having it rebarreled - so I'll actually USE the rifle and not just pull it out of the safe and admire it. :D

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    This one needs to be saved for posterity.
    I know, I know. I thought about just listing it as-is, with the vintage Weaver scope, for a collector somewhere. I was offered $1K for the combo by someone I know at my local range. I suspect it would bring a fair price on auction. But I've never been much of a collector, and this rifle has some features (blind mag, mauser style ejector, smooth feeding) that I really like in a hunting rifle.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    http://northlandshooterssupply.com/w...tour-Chart.pdf

The only one I know of that might match the same contour would be Shilen. As far as matching the "Blueing" I have no idea on that one.

It is a beautiful rifle, especially for it's age. But I'm with you in wanting to get away from the 30-06.
    I got a reply from McGowan and they said if I send in the barrel they can match the contour at no extra cost. This is very, very tempting. I had a 7x57 for a little while (Ruger RSI) but it was not an accurate gun, and inaccurate guns don't last long in my safe.

A 1960 Savage, that looks like that, chambered in 7x57 Mauser... oh my.

Basic Member
    I would 2nd the shilen.. possibly even talk to criterion or you may be able to get a blank and then have your smith make a replica chambered in your choice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If recoil is the reason you're not fond of the 30-06, then loading with H4895 can turn that Ol -06 Springfield into something quite pleasant to shoot with recoil very similar to a .243 or maybe even less.
    With a lighter bullet it can even maintain pretty stout velocities for hunting, or turn it way down for plinking.
    Since it uses plentiful (most of the time) and wide ranging .308 diameter components it is one of the most versatile cartridges a fella could ever want.

I know you're asking about rebarreling but depending on the issue for wanting to do so, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    Project guns are cheap and plentiful. Original, honest condition is getting harder to find.

If you can really get 1k for it sell and find a donor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Of course it does. It has the Mauser style ejector and the extractor that clips around the bolt face. I love this setup, which is why I'm considering having it rebarreled - so I'll actually USE the rifle and not just pull it out of the safe and admire it. :D

The purpose for me asking was to highlight that a standard Savage tenon prefit may not work.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    If recoil is the reason you're not fond of the 30-06, then loading with H4895 can turn that Ol -06 Springfield into something quite pleasant to shoot with recoil very similar to a .243 or maybe even less.
    With a lighter bullet it can even maintain pretty stout velocities for hunting, or turn it way down for plinking.
    Since it uses plentiful (most of the time) and wide ranging .308 diameter components it is one of the most versatile cartridges a fella could ever want.

I know you're asking about rebarreling but depending on the issue for wanting to do so, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone.
    Nope, not recoil. I've made plenty of reduced loads too. But thanks for the suggestions.

Team Savage
    The purpose for me asking was to highlight that a standard Savage tenon prefit may not work.
    Roger that. I'll be sure to make them aware of that if they aren't already. These early 110 barrels are recessed at the chamber like a Remington barrel. I doubt that will be a problem for them, but I'll ask.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    If you can really get 1k for it sell and find a donor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about that, but I like the idea of breathing new life into this old girl.

The deed is done. I had to cut the barrel nut to get it off, but it's separated now. Man I hated having to cut that original nut.

Going to send the barrel in and have them duplicate it in 7x57 Mauser.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
    Project guns are cheap and plentiful. Original, honest condition is getting harder to find.
    Just got 1 rifle harder I suppose. Sorry.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished build. I think it's going to be great.

Basic Member
    To answer the post question, no. I would not rebarrel the rifle to get essentially the same cartridge with 1/40" smaller bullet. If it wasn't getting acceptable accuracy then I would change it.

If that's what you want to do then why not.

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    To answer the post question, no. I would not rebarrel the rifle to get essentially the same cartridge with 1/40" smaller bullet. If it wasn't getting acceptable accuracy then I would change it.

If that's what you want to do then why not.
    Or .026". Shaffe48. You can't in good conscience reduce the merrits of a 7mm to simply an 8 percent reduction in diameter. There is way more to it. Ballistics being the primary.

I would do a 284 but it is his rifle and the mauser is ballisticallly better than a 7mm08 in a modern rifle.

Basic Member
    It is a beautiful platform for a 7x57. I would have kept the .30-06 but only because I like to shoot a lot of cast bullets.

Team Savage
    Or .026". Shaffe48. You can't in good conscience reduce the merrits of a 7mm to simply an 8 percent reduction in diameter. There is way more to it. Ballistics being the primary.

I would do a 284 but it is his rifle and the mauser is ballisticallly better than a 7mm08 in a modern rifle.
    I'm building a long-throated .284 Win on a LW Storm long action, so I have that one underway already. That will be my elk rifle.

I figured a classic rifle deserved a classic cartridge like the 7x57. Plus, I liked the 7x57 I had but for the poor accuracy.

shaffe48 - it was an accuracy issue. I was tired of fighting that 60 year old '06 barrel. It was a copper mine, and not all that accurate even when clean. One thing I know about myself is if one of my rifles is not a consistent MOA gun or better, I won't use it. I have too many that are, and it's what I'm accustomed to. The only exception I make is for my 1st rifle, a pre-64 Win. 30-30 that is one of the best shooting 30-30's I've ever seen. 1"-1.5" with a 2x scout scope is pretty routine with that gun, and it's killed truckloads of critters for me over the 35 years I've had it. If I'm chasing pigs, that's the one that comes with me.

All my main hunting rifles will be 7mm moving forward because of the balance of ballistics and weight that caliber affords. I was never much of a .30 cal guy, but I got this rifle for $250 and couldn't lay off. Even when I bought it, I thought the stock and action were worth more than that to me, and if that old barrel didn't shoot, I'd replace it.

The only other thing I may do is replace the trigger group and safety. But I have the original trigger and sear down to a pretty crisp 4# and I can live with that for now.

Basic Member
    Yes I can definitely reduce the merits. There is no damm difference. Perhaps an inch of trajectory at hunting ranges and no difference on game.

Team Savage

Always enjoy discussion of these early 110s, they are quite nice to behold. For me, mine will remain all original as long as I have it because of what it is. I last shot that rifle on Sept 6th 1991 while developing a load for elk so I could use it as a backup for my 7RM "just in case". I figured 1.5" @ 100yds with 180gr Partitions was plenty adequate for the task. Other than an occasional bore swabbing, oiling, and wipe down, that's all it's seen since.

A couple years ago I checked the trigger pull, which I know hasn't been touched since my dad acquired it late '67 or early '68. I was surprised to see a 10 pull average around 3.5lbs and trigger has a nice crisp pull with no creep.

Being a fan of 7mm, I think your choice matches your vintage 110 nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Yes I can definitely reduce the merits. There is no damm difference. Perhaps an inch of trajectory at hunting ranges and no difference on game.
    But it is his rifle.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Just got 1 rifle harder I suppose. Sorry.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished build. I think it's going to be great.
    Can't see it from my house.

Basic Member
    Thats what I said. I said the question is would you do it. The answer is no. But if that's what he wants to do why not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast