Thread: Model 99 help needed in determining correct scope bases

Model 99 help needed in determining correct scope bases

Im going to be putting a scope on my gun and was looking at period correct weaver rings and bases. i noticed 3 base heights available, low, medium and high. can i use any height mount or do i need a certain mount height for shell clearance ? thanks

Basic Member
    There are forum members that have more experience with scoping 99's than I-if they'd post, but from what I've read over the last four years or so since buying, shooting, reloading for 99's, is that a medium set of bases is needed for most 99 scope mounting. A long time scope using 99 shooter told me once that medium bases are the way to go with the 99's. I'm of average build and height (5-10/188#) and get along fine with mediums on rifles I have scoped. A few have low bases, but are not a problem.

Of my three 99's, one has a Stith mount, one has original iron sights, and the scoped third has medium rings-they work great. I couldn't use high or extra high rings as they ruin an effective cheek weld to the stock. Unless a shooter has a neck like a giraffe or a high custom Monte Carlo type stock or cheek/stock adapter, high rings won't work for effective shooting for most people and applications from my understanding and experience of rifle scoping.

Basic Member
    It depends on the size of the objective bell on the front of the scope, it has to clear the top of the barrel when mounted so it dosen't touch. Most manufacturers will have a chart to tell which height ring to use with each size scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    It depends on the size of the objective bell on the front of the scope, it has to clear the top of the barrel when mounted so it dosen't touch. Most manufacturers will have a chart to tell which height ring to use with each size scope.
    Right on Big Al1----Was going to mention that, but got called away from the computer, came back, proof read my reply hurriedly, and sent...wife put me on a mission. Good, important point posted!!!

thanks guys for your replies.