Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing pin protrusion 110

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nontypical View Post
    I probably should’ve just left the firing pin protrusion set where it was when I replaced the bolt head. But of course, I’m one to always try and make things perfect. Unfortunately this time due to my limited lack of knowledge other than watching a YouTube video on adjusting the pin protrusion, I made it worse and created another problem. Hopefully after having someone else with a lot more knowledge and the correct tools to measure and make the right adjustments, I will not have anymore issues.

We can’t learn a skill set if we are not willing to mess up on the way. It does strike me as odd you were told the spring was weak. Did you happen to clip it at some point? I’ve never seen a Savage that was not considerably OVER sprung. I also agree with the above. Everything clean & DRY, and set to .035”-.045” (I’m right at .035” and never have had a light strike). Finally, the cocking piece pin should be set .080” from the bottom shelf of the bolt window.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I wasn't trying to belittle you nontypical in case I came across that way. I was targeting future readers who look this topic up, so they know what to look for and they don't loose firing pin travel causing light strikes. I'm glad you got yours fixed.
    No offense taken at all.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    We can’t learn a skill set if we are not willing to mess up on the way. It does strike me as odd you were told the spring was weak. Did you happen to clip it at some point? I’ve never seen a Savage that was not considerably OVER sprung. I also agree with the above. Everything clean & DRY, and set to .035”-.045” (I’m right at .035” and never have had a light strike). Finally, the cocking piece pin should be set .080” from the bottom shelf of the bolt window.
    I should’ve clarified. The spring pressure was good, when the travel was set correctly. But since the travel was short, it therefore had reduced pressure. Does that make sense? I’m pretty sure that was what he told me, but I may have misunderstood him.

Banned
    Perfect sense. I just read in another thread you had Grimstod set it up now. You’ll be GTG!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Perfect sense. I just read in another thread you had Grimstod set it up now. You’ll be GTG!
    Very reasonable with a quick turnaround. Sounds like he knows his stuff. Just can’t wait to test it out!

Banned
    Oh yeah.... Ben (Grimstod Desh), is VERY well known & well respected here.

Team Savage
    Got a chance to test everything out. Everything went perfect and she shoots even better than before. The bolt is effortless with the lift kit installed as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12