Thread: Trying to help a friend I.D. her Dad's Model 99 & the stock?

Question Trying to help a friend I.D. her Dad's Model 99 & the stock?

Helping a friend who just inherited her Dad's Model 99 in 300 Savage: serial number puts it circa early '50's, gun has a Weaver 4X, appears to me to probably be a good shooter for her son in NM to learn on.

The stock has me baffled as I can't determine of this was something actually available commercially or, possibly a one-of-a-kind?

I'm brand new on the forum and pretty new to Savage, only having experienced a Model 15-A with a cousin long, long ago... Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I intended to post a couple images, but am told "no attachments"...? Not looking to advertise, only for information. Guess this is as good a way to ask what hoops I need to jump through as any?

Cheers!

Basic Member
    I think you have to have a xertain number of posts before you can add pictures, not sure how many that is.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 Win. Savage 99C.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	7861Big AL1 is correct. Here's a photo of my 99C that is 1965 vintage. It looks like they won't let me post a photo either, sorry. I only have 86 posts so far. Update: I found out why I couldn't post photos here. I needed to become a Team Savage member and pay my yearly dues.
    Last edited by Travis98146; 03-05-2021 at 12:17 AM. Reason: need to add photo

Basic Member
    Use IMGUR.com to post pics.

Buy Royal's book. If it's not there, it's not a factory stock.

Basic Member
    its to bad we can't get factory letters any more with Callahan, Cody does not do very good job for 1899's & 99's

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I think you have to have a xertain number of posts before you can add pictures, not sure how many that is.
    Must be a Team Savage member to upload pics direct to the forum. Other option is to use a pic hosting site and post the link.

Basic Member
    There's only 3 models of Savage 99 that were made in the 1950's, and only 2 in the early 50's. So pretty easy to show you examples.

Here's the 99EG, characterized by a thinner forearm with a schnabel tip.

Here's the 2nd model, the late version of the 99R. Rounded forearm that's wider than the receiver. Still has the triangular checkering on the forearm similar to the EG.

The 3rd one made in the 50's was the late 99F, but it was only made in the last half of the 50's. Rounded forearm, and with checkering on the forearm that wraps all the way around. The barrel will say 99F on the side and have a thick boss at the rear sight.

That's the 3 stock styles from the 50's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
    . . . . . .That's the 3 stock styles from the 50's.
    Not quite . . . .

When the featherweight was reintroduced in the 1950’s, the first one’s had NO flutes on the comb. Shortly thereafter, flutes appeared as in your picture.

I have one of each.

Basic Member
    when it comes to Savage, never say never, been proved lots of times that savage would configure something that was never in a catalog

Basic Member
    not true, there were 5, R, RS, EG solid frame, T feather weight, F featherweight barrel, couple had 2 variations

Basic Member
    texken, the R/RS only differ on sights and not stock in the 50's, and the 1950's RS is a bit of a unicorn in that a trustworthy specimen is hardly ever seen. The T wasn't made after 1945.

So, yeah.. I wasn't technically correct when I said there were only 3 models.. I should have said there were 3 stock styles.