Thread: Bedding a savage and the recess under the front of action

Basic Member

Bedding a savage and the recess under the front of action

Got 1 build waiting on a barrel that should arrive soon and another I am brainstorming. I have not bedded a savage before and thought about that recess for the index on the recoil lug. Seems like a great place to get locked up. I dont want to stuff it full of clay or similar that will be impossible to get out. Thought about taping over it. Whats the best way to address this spot?

Basic Member
    Really not a big deal... put a small piece of tape if you want. Or just make sure you get the release agent sprayed (or whatever kind of application you are using) up in there and it wont lock up on you. With everything assembled (and it should be to bed it) there isn't much space for the bedding to go. Also- I haven't had that much problem removing the clay or wax....

Basic Member
    I gooped the clear shoe polish I was using as a release agent pretty good around the entire nut lug area including that spot.

I tape off the front, sides and bottom of the lug leaving the rear portion uncovered. I then apply neutral shoe polish to all surfaces to include the bottom of the nut. I've never had a problem removing the barreled action after the bedding compound is hardened.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Got 1 build waiting on a barrel that should arrive soon and another I am brainstorming. I have not bedded a savage before and thought about that recess for the index on the recoil lug. Seems like a great place to get locked up. I dont want to stuff it full of clay or similar that will be impossible to get out. Thought about taping over it. Whats the best way to address this spot?
    Fill it up with JB weld.
    I don’t tape the recoil lug up.
    Just rub bow string wax thin on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I believe the current trend is to bed the rear portion of the recoil lug, but not the front. I tape off the front and put a layer of tape on the sides and wax everything. If you prefer to bed the recoil lug on all sides, just be certain the action is positioned EXACTLY where you want it to be in the stock before the bedding cures, cause you won't be repositioning it afterwards.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.