Thread: Savage 111 Staggered Feed Blind Mag - Requesting Info

Question Savage 111 Staggered Feed Blind Mag - Requesting Info

Hey ya'll, looking for some information or guidance. I've got an old Savage action that I'd like to get up and running but need a few parts and have struck out searching. Did a lookup with Savage customer service and the action is from a 111 FCXP3. It's a staggered feed blind mag setup. Unfortunately when I came into possession the blind mag and all the associated parts were removed. It currently sits as an action, bolt & trigger assembly with no stock or mag parts. I'd like to get the action up and running as a hunting rifle and would be just as happy with the old blind mag setup as a new DBM setup. The trouble I'm running into is finding parts that would allow me to do either. I've combed the forums quite a bit and found a lot of info pointing to CDI from years past. Sounds like thats no longer an option. Numrich has the parts listed but all out of stock it seems (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...eries/111fcxp3) Sounds like there are some rigged up options involving milling or dremeling the action but id prefer not do that unless absolutely necessary. Hoping to get the magazine situation figured out before finding a stock.

Anyway I guess the real ask is do any of you have insight as to where a guy could find the blind mag parts new or used (would be great if someone had em in the old parts bin wasting away and ready to sell )? Or do ya'll have any other feasible recommendations as to how to get the gun up and running? Or a factory detachable mag setup? Or hell, even an aftermarket one at this point.. not super particular, just going to use it as a meat gun. Any configuration would beat its current use as a paper weight in the safe.

Full disclosure, this is my first Savage action so please excuse any rookie ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Guess you've figured out by now that it's become a rare bird you seek. Seems like just a couple of years ago none of us gave the old staggerfeed blind mag boxes a second thought when doing projects. I've got a short action one that I broke one of the tabs on that's sitting in the mag well shimmed into place against the action with some paper because I cant find a replacement.
    Good luck on your quest, and sorry I cant be of more help.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    PTG makes 111 Bottom Metal for a detachable magazine, but I know it's for a Center feed action. It may need to be adjusted up or down in the stock in order for a Staggered feed action to strip rounds out of a magazine.

Or you could try a factory Center feed blind magazine box assembly, and see if you can make it work. I know for a fact that the blind magazine inlet in a Center feed stock is shorter in length than the Staggered feed stock. I put a Staggered feed 110 action in a Boyd's thumbhole stock made for a Center feed action, and had to lengthen the front of the magwell in the stock 1/4"-3/16" in order for the Staggered feed magazine box to fit in it.

The rear part of the magwell lined up perfectly. The depth is the same, so you might be able to just shim a center feed box in place and use it instead of searching for a Staggered feed Unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    PTG makes 111 Bottom Metal for a detachable magazine, but I know it's for a Center feed action. It may need to be adjusted up or down in the stock in order for a Staggered feed action to strip rounds out of a magazine.

Or you could try a factory Center feed blind magazine box assembly, and see if you can make it work. I know for a fact that the blind magazine inlet in a Center feed stock is shorter in length than the Staggered feed stock. I put a Staggered feed 110 action in a Boyd's thumbhole stock made for a Center feed action, and had to lengthen the front of the magwell in the stock 1/4"-3/16" in order for the Staggered feed magazine box to fit in it.

The rear part of the magwell lined up perfectly. The depth is the same, so you might be able to just shim a center feed box in place and use it instead of searching for a Staggered feed Unicorn.
    Thanks for the feedback! I do have a centerfeed box mag so maybe thats the ticket. I assume getting a centerfeed inlet stock then modifying the front to back spacing would be the better way rather than starting with a staggered feed stock so the depth is set for the center feed mag? Or would the centerfeed mag probably need up down adjustment as well. Feel pretty comfortable with modifying a stock so this seems like a solid strategy! Much appreciated

Thanks for the information! Just realized my original reply didn't post. This sounds like modifying a centerfeed stock might be just the ticket. I happen to have a centerfeed box mag on the workbench I can tinker with. I'm fairly comfortable modifying a stock as you described. Do you think it would be better starting with a Centerfeed inlet stock and grinding away excess material as you've done and shims on the rear to hold the centerfeed mag in place or just start with a staggered inlet and shim accordingly? Haven't seen any clear comparisons of the inlets so not sure if the staggered inlet would require more shimming (up down, left right, front to back) vs just grinding a centerfeed and shimming the back.

Basic Member
    I don't know that you'd need to modify the stock much if you were using a center feed magazine in a same type stock, other than shaving down the top of the front wall of the stock magwell in order for the rounds to feed out of the magazine up into the feed ramp area of the action.

It would just take some trial and error in finding out what works best. As long as the Center feed magazine sets up high enough for the bolt head to push a cartridge out of the magazine, then it would just need to clear the front area of the magwell, and feed into the action correctly.