Thread: Savage Butt Pads / Recoil Pads

Team Savage

Savage Butt Pads / Recoil Pads

Do all Savages have the same squishy stick recoil pad as the Cabela's FV?

Basic Member
    My Savage synthetic stocked rifles all have the mushy pad. Due to the pad's design, it is hard to replace without modification of the stock (carefully shaped wood epoxied into the stock to provide a base to screw a replacement pad into). I haven't tried this myself, only imagined it. It's probably not worth the effort. Most folks replace the synthetics with higher quality aftermarket stocks with real butt pads. Good luck, Balvar24!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by DQL5150 View Post
    My Savage synthetic stocked rifles all have the mushy pad. Due to the pad's design, it is hard to replace without modification of the stock (carefully shaped wood epoxied into the stock to provide a base to screw a replacement pad into). I haven't tried this myself, only imagined it. It's probably not worth the effort. Most folks replace the synthetics with higher quality aftermarket stocks with real butt pads. Good luck, Balvar24!
    I'm considering a factory replacement stock. Didn't know if all factory stocks, including the laminates had the same pad as the FV.

Basic Member
    Before the current squishy ones they were as hard as a black brick

Team Savage
    For a 223, that would be fine.

Basic Member
    My model 12VLP has the same barreled action with a laminate stock with a nice, firm rubber pad mounted to wood. Not the stretch-armstrong. It's a real nice stock but a little heavy for a lot of walking. If you're considering a factory replacement, look for used model 12 takeoffs, although I bet they are not that common. Maybe Ebay. Boyd's makes nice, affordable replacements for the 12 with firm pads, made to order. You could go to detachable magazine with either, if so inclined.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by DQL5150 View Post
    My model 12VLP has the same barreled action with a laminate stock with a nice, firm rubber pad mounted to wood. Not the stretch-armstrong. It's a real nice stock but a little heavy for a lot of walking. If you're considering a factory replacement, look for used model 12 takeoffs, although I bet they are not that common. Maybe Ebay. Boyd's makes nice, affordable replacements for the 12 with firm pads, made to order. You could go to detachable magazine with either, if so inclined.
    Thanks. Good information. Just what I was looking for. I think I found an older VLP stock with a blind magazine opening.

Basic Member
    There is someone in here with a 12BVSS that is changing to a chassis. They are pretty stocks with blind mags.

Team Savage
    I like the bvss stocks.

I would have to say my older savage 223 had a hard plastic one and my older 243 had more like a hard rubber buttpad buy buy newer 270wsm had a nice soft rubber one. I think they are different cause the 243 and 223 have the small screw spacing.