Thread: building a 300wsm

Basic Member

building a 300wsm

i recently ordered a single shot savage action from northland shooters it is a 308 bolt face, what are my options to get this converted to the 300wsm magnum bolt head, some are saying the baffle needs to be changed also other than the bolt head, never been down this road before, any suggestions will be appreciated.what is the reason for the baffle to be changed. and can the stock 308 bolt head be bored out for the 300 wsm, please fill me in

chet

The 300WSM bolt head is like 1/8th longer than the 308 Short Action Bolt Head. This requires a different Firing pin and firing pin spring. If you know of someone that has a short action magnum and wants to go to a 308 a whole bolt swap would be the way to go.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Configurations

Out of stock but what you need.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005118197?pid=418374
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    hello robinhood
    curious if it this has been done, since i have a machine shop in my basement, is it feasible to bore out the bolt head for the magnum case, i don't want to be the first to try it, has it been done

chet

Basic Member
    Pacific tool and gauge makes a Magnum short action bolt head . That is drop in . I made a 7 mag and am now using it for a 300 wsm . A while back Savage made a 300 wsm small shank barrel . They switched it to large shank now . Possible chamber expanding was the rumor . The 7 mag was on an axis action . I think ptg is the way to go . It may be considered custom . 3 years ago it was stock item . https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/9715...-ejection_port . This is what I found

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    hello robinhood
    curious if it this has been done, since i have a machine shop in my basement, is it feasible to bore out the bolt head for the magnum case, i don't want to be the first to try it, has it been done

chet
    Chet, the extractor detent hole location would be my concern. I have taken a long action Bolthead and cut the correct amount off the end so the regular firing pin will work. That is the critical thing. Maintain that factory compressed length, Be aware of coil bind.

If you have the ability to grab small parts on your lathe it is a piece of cake for guy with machining skills. Get that nose to the short action length and you won't even need to touch the spring stop. A little here and a little there if you are willing to make things non standard.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Chet, the extractor detent hole location would be my concern. I have taken a long action Bolthead and cut the correct amount off the end so the regular firing pin will work. That is the critical thing. Maintain that factory compressed length, Be aware of coil bind.

If you have the ability to grab small parts on your lathe it is a piece of cake for guy with machining skills. Get that nose to the short action length and you won't even need to touch the spring stop. A little here and a little there if you are willing to make things non standard.
    robinhood
    Get that nose to the short action length
    can you go into a little bit on details or possibly a pic

chet