Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you guys ahead of time for your input. I had what was originally a Model 11 .308. I have since upgraded a few items… I switched out the trigger to the SSS Comp Trigger, it’s currently sitting at about 1lb of trigger pull. Next, the stock was replaced to the Choate Tactical stock. It’s sitting on a Harris 6-9” bipod. The barrel is a Shilen Match Grade barrel. 1-10” twist, 24”, varmint. It is sitting on the original scope mount that came with the packaged gun, I have loctite’d those down with the blue Loctite so it isn’t permanent but remains snug. Burris XTR rings hold the SWFA SS 10x scope.

When I clean, I use a Hoppes aluminum three piece rod, copper brush, and a bore guide.

The ammo I’m using is Federal Match Sierra Match King BTHP 168gr.

I installed the barrel myself using a Forstner go-gauge.

The barrel is very free floated, I noticed the left edge of the tang wasn’t too free floating so I took a file and shaved down part of the Choate stock a little. It is now more free floating than before.

I’m frustrated because at best, I was getting 1” 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I could get slightly under 1” three shot groups. When I do 10 shot groups, I’m hitting about 1.5” to 2”. The last two times at the range, my 5 shot groups were approaching 2 inches… I’m very frustrated in that I can’t get the groups smaller. I was hoping you guys could give me advice on what could be wrong.

Could it be the Shilen barrel? Could it be shooting technique? Did I shave off too much from the stock’s tang area, or not enough? Could it be that I’m using factory ammo, despite it being match grade ammo? All of the screws mounting the rifle to the stock seem very tight. I’m shooting using the bipod on a bench, supported by a sandbag at the rear. Sometimes I will need to pinch the sandbag to adjust elevation, but otherwise it seems fairly supported. I really appreciate your help… I have no tools to gauge if the barrel is bad or not. Also, I’ve only put there about 200-250 rounds in it. I try to clean it every fifty rounds or so with both Hoppes solvent and Slip “something” copper solvent.