Thread: Searching Production date for Savage Model 10 Pre-68

Question Searching Production date for Savage Model 10 Pre-68

Hi everyone- I just obtained an older Model Savage 10 Rifle and need help in finding out what year it wa s produced- rifle has a 5 digit serial number begining with first 2 digits reading 31 (no letters in serial ) can any one help with some info - your response will be appreciated ,,thanks

Team Savage

You might find more info by posting in the 110-Series forum which includes short actions like yours. This forum is for all series excluding the 110-Series.

I can tell you this much, you will not be able to date your rifle from the serial number. The closest you will get is by looking for an oval stamp on the barrel containing 2-digits and a letter. The digits are the inspector's stamp and the letter will be the year of manufacture. See this topic for a breakdown of letters by year of manufacture - https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...of-manufacture

Thanks for the Response ,, the Stamp markings on my Model 10 show as 12M inside the Oval , -so based on info you provided it seems like my Rifle was produced sometime in 1961 - would you agree on that ??
    Thanks

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by MrHerman View Post
    Thanks for the Response ,, the Stamp markings on my Model 10 show as 12M inside the Oval , -so based on info you provided it seems like my Rifle was produced sometime in 1961 - would you agree on that ??
    Thanks
    M would be 1961. If you go to the FAQ at top of the main forum page you'll find a scanned copy of the 1961 catalog in the History section. Note there was no "10" in 1961, that designation wasn't used until much later.

There are 5 excellent articles on the Savage 110 in the History section of the FAQ. From those articles you'll find the short action 110 was introduced in 1959, but the two digit model "10" wasn't introduced until 1998.

Hi
    thanks for the reply once again- and I just noticed I made a Tipo on the initial description for my Rifle it is not a model 10 as I initialely labeled - it is indeed a Model 110 , so all info you refered me to was very helpfull
    Thank you.