Thread: New guy here from Utah ...

New guy here from Utah ...

I lived in the Midwest all my life until 2007 when the wife and I decided "let's do it." We always wanted to live near the mountains and I appreciate the view every day. I love older Marlin rifles, my 1874 Hartford Shiloh Sharps in 45/70, Smith revolvers, a few Ruger Blawkhawks, and a few bolt rifles.

Here is my latest, a new 10FP SR in .308 ... Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 FFP MOA scope with Athlon Precision low rings, a Glades Armory bolt knob/handle, EGW 20 MOA rail, Airsson Cheek Rest, and a throw lever from MK Machining is on the way. I still have the factory stock on as I haven't decided what I was going to buy so I painted it. I also haven't bought a bipod yet ... maybe an Atlas CAL model.

I am not a long range shooter by any stretch but hope to tune this up to where I can enjoy shooting at longer distances than before. It's nothing fancy and that's okay.

Here is my Sharps made in Big Timber, MT ... 32" octagon, MVA sights, in 45/70

Some of my Marlins ...

My camp gun ... .45 Colt BH with Patrick Grashorn elk grips

Looking forward to learning from you guys ... happy to be here

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Welcome from the other side of all these mountains. Denver here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys ... I have read some real interesting threads here already. I came here because I like Savage rifles and to learn. If anyone has suggestions on a stock for my 10FP SR and a bipod. My previous Savage 10FP was in .223 in the early 2000's and I had a Bell and Carlson stock on it and used a Harris bipod.
    Here is a picture of that rifle ...

I shot the best 100 yard groups in my life with that setup.

Welcome. LOVE the 45-70 has some very nice grain in that stock. With the right loads, You can take that beauty out to 1k. Who made the holster for your BH?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Welcome to the SAVAGE FAMILY

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Welcome. LOVE the 45-70 has some very nice grain in that stock. With the right loads, You can take that beauty out to 1k. Who made the holster for your BH?
    The holster was made by Bob Mernickle in Reno, NV who I met at a gunshow years ago. Their website has changed and now says they are located in Pampa, TX so he might have sold the company. I have ordered holsters and belts from him.
    https://www.mernickleholsters.com/sh...ter-p211264600

When I ordered the rifle from Shiloh Sharps in MT, I spent the dollars for upgraded wood and finish. I am very happy with the rifle and thank you for the nice words.

Note: My friends have been taking their single shots shooting lead out to 1,000 yards for years now. They make entertaining videos on YouTube under the name Sagebrush Longshots.

Team Savage
    welcome,nice collection

Basic Member
    I hunted with a 10fcp-sr for the last few years in 6.5. For a factory rifle, that gun could shoot. I am itching for something like that again, maybe in 308 or 243. Good to meet you!

Basic Member
    Also, where abouts in Utah? I was stationed at Hill, AFB a while ago...and if you are wanting to go for something "tactical" you should look at an MDT chassis system for it..lots of options to choose with extreme adjustability.

Quote Originally Posted by stanekjm View Post
    I hunted with a 10fcp-sr for the last few years in 6.5. For a factory rifle, that gun could shoot. I am itching for something like that again, maybe in 308 or 243. Good to meet you!
    And nice to meet you all. You mentioned a .308 and a .243 ... two of my favorites for many years now. I sent my Ruger M77 Mark II .243 to my son a few years back. I coyote hunted with that rifle for about 7-8 years ... love that setup. Now that I own a Tikka in 7mm-08, I won't be buying a .243 anymore but that caliber would be a great deer rifle as would a .308. Enjoy the journey ...
    5 Rules for Happiness:
    free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Quote Originally Posted by stanekjm View Post
    Also, where abouts in Utah? I was stationed at Hill, AFB a while ago...and if you are wanting to go for something "tactical" you should look at an MDT chassis system for it..lots of options to choose with extreme adjustability.

Sorry ... just saw this. I live on the west bench in the Salt Lake Valley. I've been by Hill AFB many times up by Ogden. I am about 50 miles south.
    5 Rules for Happiness:
    free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less