Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Savage Impulse Action

Banned

Many of videos on you tube

Basic Member
    When will these be available?

Basic Member
    By the time you put a scope on it you will be 9.5 pounds or 10 pounds. Not exactly what I would consider optimum weight for a hunting rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    By the time you put a scope on it you will be 9.5 pounds or 10 pounds. Not exactly what I would consider optimum weight for a hunting rifle.

This surprised me also. Now, I personally don't mind a rifle in that weight. But I expected something like a lightweight carbine considering they are selling it as being so fast in all their marketing.hmm

Then again the people who use lightweight carbines might be less likely to shell out $1500 than those who like the more precise setups. Maybe that's the mindset. But what then explains the marketing?

I'm also unclear of the typical rifle weight in Europe. Maybe the walk to the drive stand isn't far and the weight absorbs recoil for faster shooting.

If the receiver is aluminum where is all the weight coming from? If it’s the barrel that’s an easy lightweight option to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Wyo View Post
    When will these be available?
    According to Savage they should start showing up on dealer shelves next month (February).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    It's gotta be the barrel. My 110 is about the same weight with a 'heavy barrel' and accustock.

Basic Member
    I saw the announcement the other day so I thought that I'd check in here to read more about it.

My questions about it are:

Since it has an ejector cut, why not open the bottom of the bolt face to make a pushfeed/CRF hybrid to help feeding reliability?
    Is the barrel extension torqued on at the factory to set the headspace or is it set with the barrel threads and nut like the 110?
    Is the 4 bolt clamp arrangement in the aluminum receiver a weak point? It looks easy to over torque and crack the receiver.

Thanks
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Well, I'm 71, maybe this will be my last bolt gun? Looks interesting, need to see one up close.

Basic Member
    I see wandering zeros coming.

Team Savage
    I just can't say I have any interest in something like this, and I'm a big fan of Savage rifles. I can work a conventional bolt as fast as I need to in any hunting situation. If I need faster, then I'll get a semi-auto for the task (such as when I'm after sounders of pigs and I use my Mini-30). The difference in speed between a conventional bolt-action and this straight-pull is negligible. It would have had to have other significant benefits for me to even consider it. I don't see those. And I'm not a fan of closed-top receivers (axis, Tikka, etc). So that's a non-starter for me.

Ya'll have fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Just watching an interview with Jessica Teglia of Savage, she implied that the Impulse action is akin to the Axis in that there is just one action length with different one-piece bottom metal to dictate whether it is a long or short action.
    Got verification on this from Savage today. The actions for the Impulse are dedicated for long or short just like the 110's.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I like it. If it functions well in the dirt, snow, freezing rain and mud they will have a real winner there. Of course there are probably more tree stand hunters so it’ll probably be popular either way.

Basic Member
    I wonder how well it will handle a stuck case? Or one that was either a bad factory round, or too hot of a handload, enough to where you would have to hammer the bolt open on a normal bolt action.

All in all, it is a very interesting. Wonder if they will make it in smaller calibers like 223?

"Heym SR30: Straight Pull Ball-Bearing Lock?"

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    This is the same action as a Heym straight pull. This new savage will get me back into the savage game. Barrel nut and a straight pull I am in!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-44H321Bsg

I would buy if they made it in 223 and put a brake on it with the barrel being a 1-7 twist rate. That or the new 6.8 westerner looks sweet.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr2g1988 View Post
    I would buy if they made it in 223 and put a brake on it with the barrel being a 1-7 twist rate. That or the new 6.8 westerner looks sweet.
    Now one of those in .300BO threaded for a suppressor might be fun on pigs. I'd be on board with that.

Basic Member
    Hello. New on the forum, but not to firearms. I am thinking the machining to keep tighter tolerances should be easier. Cutting a radial groove as opposed to lugs? I am hopeful. My local store has 3 on order. I looked at other fortner actions as they came out, but could not afford the heym, anschutz or blazer.
    I like my K31, but its bulky.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr2g1988 View Post
    Does your husband enjoy shooting also? A little .223 doesn’t need a brake.

Basic Member
    Savage copies the Heym action design and calls it the “Impulse”. We get pissed when the Chinese do this.

Team Savage
    I have been thinking about a straight pull modern rifle for quite a while so this is good news.

I have a K31 straight pull, and straight pull is pretty nice.

I cannot figure out why the Predator model isn't being offered in .223. IMHO very dumb on Savage's part.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Olink View Post
    I cannot figure out why the Predator model isn't being offered in .223. IMHO very dumb on Savage's part.
    I would imagine they will eventually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olink View Post
    I know it's an added expense, but you can easily make the Predator a terrific 223. Buy one of the many off the shelf pre-fit barrels in 223 and an AICS magazine and presto-chango you have one, and likely a better one because the barrel you've bought will be superior.

Well, maybe not. I just looked and saw they don't offer a cartridge with the same 223 rim diameter. I thought I saw they offered 300 Blackout, but I was wrong. Yeah, dumb. This is their first offering so let's hope it's a sales success and they flood the market with different versions...like they do with the 110.

I suspect the lack of a .223 option probably is due to one of two things. The first would simply be that since the .223 would require a different bolt head arrangement they decided not to include it in the first stage of the launch but will come sometime later when they expand the line. The second possible reason could be a feeding reliability issue between the Impulses bolt design and the AICS .223 mag's.

Savage has never offered Axis/110 rifles in .223 setup to take AR15 magazines for the latter reason - the feed lips on AR mags simply aren't compatible with their bolt design. If you look at a Mossberg Patriot (basically a copy of a Savage 110) in .223 that uses the AR mags, you'll note that the bolt head has a very unique and obvious difference that allows it to work with the AR mags. Could be a similar issue with the 223 AICS mags.

This is the one negative attributes of a "one size fits all" action design. There will always be some cartridges that simply can't/won't feed well from it and it usually ends up being the smaller diameter cartridges because the actions are primarily designed around and sized for standard diameter cartridges which account for the vast majority of rifles they will build and sell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast