Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Savage Impulse Action

Banned

does 0.2 in 223 or 0.116 in a 308 sound interesting...both are ar's, target ar's
    they are close to 20 years old at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I did a straight pull AR platform two years ago using a side charging receiver and a full bull stainless barrel in 223 Rem, creating a straight pull action. I was curious to see just how accurate the AR platform is/was. All I did was eliminate the gas tube and turned the gas block 180 degrees. Accuracy was better w/o the gas system but nothing earth shattering, accuracy was on par with my bolt action heavy barrel out to 700 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    Does your mom even let you keep guns in the basement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that is funny.

Basic Member
    I read on another forum a little over a grand $$

Basic Member
    None of the links posted are working.
    But based off what I can gather reading this thread, it is a straight pull rifle with ball bearings as the locking method?
    I seem to remember seeing a video on forgotten weapons about a rifle like that.

Edit: here, I found it. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/hey...the%20receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    None of the links posted are working.
    But based off what I can gather reading this thread, it is a straight pull rifle with ball bearings as the locking method?
    I seem to remember seeing a video on forgotten weapons about a rifle like that.

Edit: here, I found it. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/hey...the%20receiver.
    Thanks for that Link J&G
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thinking that the story behind the Savage "leaker" is going to be a lot more interesting than the new action with the "square wheels". The coverup is in progress. Be nice to hear an explanation of why the links have been deleted.
    Who knows, the "leaker" might disappear or commit hilliarycide!

Someone at Savage screwed the pooch as all information on these is under embargo until Jan 5th at 11am CST. I was invited to participate in the Media launch zoom call early in December, and everyone privy to it had to sign an NDA. I've had all the videos and tech info since about a week before Christmas, but mum's the word until the 5th.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Someone at Savage screwed the pooch as all information on these is under embargo until Jan 5th at 11am CST. I was invited to participate in the Media launch zoom call early in December, and everyone privy to it had to sign an NDA. I've had all the videos and tech info since about a week before Christmas, but mum's the word until the 5th.
    "Screwed the pooch" or a clever marketing ploy to plant the seed & "worry" the competition.��

Really looking forward to something new from Savage. The straight pull is very interesting.

It's been a LONG time since I've gotten really excited about anything new from Savage, but this one has me chomping at the bit to get my hands on one. Have owned a Browning T-Bolt for 5-6 years now and just love it compared to my old traditional bolt-action rimfires, and from what I've seen so far Savage really thought it through when designing it. It's killing me not to be able to go into more detail, but even though Savage accidentally let the cat out of the bag I'm keeping to the timeline and holding my tongue to make sure I stay in their good graces.

How this new model will go over with North American customers will be interesting to see. Compared to other straight pull guns on the market the pricing for the Savage will make it a no-brainer for those interested in that style of rifle. The question is whether or not the majority will view it as some here already have - as an answer to non-problem. Straight pull rifles have never sold particularly well here in the States, but then again, most of them have been expensive imports and I can't think of any American company that's ever offered one. However, as Savage themselves noted this new model is more geared towards helping them become a larger player in the European market where straight pull rifles are far more popular, and while I'm sure they're hoping it will be a big success in the N. American market it's more about the overseas markets than here at home.

Another thing to consider is that for competitive shooters it will offer a lot of advantages. With Savage's typical hard bolt lift they don't make for the best actions for precision shooting - be it benchrest, F-class, or even PRS as the rotational force needed to open and close the bolt inevitably results in the rifle shifting in the bags or rest requiring you to spend precious seconds getting it lined back up and reacquiring the target. Those few seconds per shot could mean the difference between getting all your shots off in the favored condition or not. With a straight pull bolt you eliminate that rotational force out of the equation entirely. The option to adjust the bolt to 4 different positions on either side will also prove to be a nice feature - especially for benchrest and varminting where right bolt/left port or vise-versa actions are already very popular. This will allow you to have that configuration if you so choose for one type of shooting, yet still retain the ability to have a traditional right bolt-right port configuration for other types of shooting. What other bolt action on the market today offers that kind of adaptability and versatility for under $1500 for the complete rifle?

The action itself on this new model has a lot of nice new features as well that I think most will appreciate a lot.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If the Impulse action has a new/different style of extractor & ejector to solve the age old 10/110 problems, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    If the Impulse action has a new/different style of extractor & ejector to solve the age old 10/110 problems, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them.
    In the video I saw it had a Springfield style inertial ejector...should sling brass across the house if you want it to.

But no clue on how the extraction will be...is the primary extraction how hard you pull back, or is there a cam in there?????

Basic Member
    A Springfield style ejector wont fling brass anywhere if the extractor doesn't secure it better than they currently do. My big question on this action is not as much about the design but about the execution of the design. The current problems with Savage extraction really isn't a design problem- I have a custom action that uses almost the same setup- and it extracts amazingly. I'd say its more about sloppy work with extreme tolerances/clearances.

I am interested in this action and hope it's successful- but I wont be in line to get one. Let others test them out and then get one if they pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    In the video I saw it had a Springfield style inertial ejector...should sling brass across the house if you want it to.
    Correct

But no clue on how the extraction will be...is the primary extraction how hard you pull back, or is there a cam in there?????
    There's a cam that provides primary extraction. The CGI videos that will be available later today show all of that off.

Basic Member
    My two Savages extract just fine, including when I have had to pound on a bolt handle to get a round out of the chamber. I think it is more of a QC issue than design.

While I would love a straight pull, the price is a bit too much for me.

Basic Member
    Now that the info is back up....so the receiver is aluminum and the hexlock function is contained in the barrel extension? Interesting...

Love the built in 20 MOA rail. Guess with the aluminum receiver that was much easier to mill.

Being in on the very early days of the poor mans assault rifle,
    I'd like to see if a pump action can be configured ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

First article and all the videos are now available on the homepage here.

In regards to some previous comments regarding extraction, here's a detailed shot of the bolt head. It's a similarly styled extractor, but is retained by a circlip as show in the second image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImpulseBoltFace.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	7694

Name:	778_CLOSE_UP_EXPANDABLE_BEARINGS_31_08_2020.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	7695

And here's a shot of the barrel and extension assembled

Name:	ImpulseBarrelExtension.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	7697

And one more showing the 4-bolts on the bottom of the action for barrel retention

Name:	ImpulseBarrelRetention4-Bolt.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	7698

Basic Member
    Being a lefty, I like the ambidextrous nature of this design. If the aftermarket ever develops for this model, imagine having access to the same selection of stocks that exist for right handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Being a lefty, I like the ambidextrous nature of this design. If the aftermarket ever develops for this model, imagine having access to the same selection of stocks that exist for right handers.
    Amen to that!!!

Not to mention that all of the calibers the righties get, will now be available to us Southpaws....

One thing that Fred and I both noticed was that the slots in the barrel nut look to be cut by a ball end mill rather than squared off slots like we're used to. We might all have to invest in yet another nut wrench to get these things part.

Just watching an interview with Jessica Teglia of Savage, she implied that the Impulse action is akin to the Axis in that there is just one action length with different one-piece bottom metal to dictate whether it is a long or short action.

Looking at the barrel extension, the lug and the assembled action, something is amiss.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    How do you ensure you have snugged the barrel/extension into the receiver before clamping down the 4 bolts?

I've been checking out reviews from quite a few sources and so far I like what I'm seeing and hearing. The one thing I'm not really excited about is the integral 20 MOA scope rail. Here in the southeastern U.S. I don't know anyone who runs anywhere near that much cant on their hunting rig, and I'd like to be able to keep my scope as close to the center of its adjustment range as possible. I've never really cared for picatinny style setups much, preferring a good set of rock solid lock em in and forget em dual dovetails. A good old drilled and tapped version allowing rings and bases of the owners choice would be far preferable in my opinion.

If you're using 1/4 minute clicks on your scope then 80 clicks from the get go would put most guys off the paper at the most common hunting rifle sight in range of 100yards and maybe even run completely out of adjustment before getting zeroed. At any rate with a 20 minute rail the scope will be no where near the optimum center of it's adjustment range unless corrected with something like Burris Zee rings and inserts.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast