Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
I suspect the lack of a .223 option probably is due to one of two things. The first would simply be that since the .223 would require a different bolt head arrangement they decided not to include it in the first stage of the launch but will come sometime later when they expand the line. The second possible reason could be a feeding reliability issue between the Impulses bolt design and the AICS .223 mag's.

Savage has never offered Axis/110 rifles in .223 setup to take AR15 magazines for the latter reason - the feed lips on AR mags simply aren't compatible with their bolt design. If you look at a Mossberg Patriot (basically a copy of a Savage 110) in .223 that uses the AR mags, you'll note that the bolt head has a very unique and obvious difference that allows it to work with the AR mags. Could be a similar issue with the 223 AICS mags.

This is the one negative attributes of a "one size fits all" action design. There will always be some cartridges that simply can't/won't feed well from it and it usually ends up being the smaller diameter cartridges because the actions are primarily designed around and sized for standard diameter cartridges which account for the vast majority of rifles they will build and sell.
I built a 223 off of a 110 tactical. I am using a MDT 223 AICS style mag. So far it seems to pick up and feed just fine. It can have a little bit of a issue if the COL is overly short (very light bullets) or very long (longer than spec). If they are too short (like 40-45gr bullets) the bullet tip may catch under the feed ramp. But I rarely shoot bullets than short. If long (like when shooting 80gr seated to get it closer to the lands) the bullet tip can hit the breech face of the barrel just below the chamber. That happens about half the time. (I cycle gently so I don't push the bullets in)
I figured a little work on the feed lips (maybe shorten them) might fix the issue. I just have not got around to buying another mag to mod to try.

Now feeding from AR mags is a whole different story. I chose the AICS style because I can load to longer than spec and still be able to use the mag.