Hi all. I recently acquired a model 99 in .300 savage. According to the Savage99 site it is a 1935, based on serial # 349xxx. The same number is also stamped in the wood on the butt-end of the forestock when I removed it. The lever boss has the letter Z stamped on it, but under the forearm is a letter C. It has a 24" barrel stamped 'Savage Model 99' on top of the receiver, ramp front sight, straight stock with no checkering, schnable front end, non-takedown. The metal butt-plate has a slight curve to it, but not what I'd call a 'curved' or 'crescent' style. Just trying to confirm if it's a model C or maybe an E?

It looks to have been well used, but also well loved for most of it's life, It has honest wear & dings, but no signs of rust or neglect. Looking with a bore scope the rifling looks in very good condition. The only issue it has is that at some point a cross-eyed baboon drilled & tapped it for a scope, and the holes are crooked!! Even with the scope windage cranked as far as it will go, it will barely hit a 2' x 2' target at 50 yds! Looking closely, you can actually see the mis-alignment of the scope! Mechanically she seems fine, and some modest hand loads showed no chamber or headspace issues. I'm having a professional gunsmith weld & re-drill the holes as it's never going to be a 'collector' piece. I just want to get it back into the deer woods it was made for.

Thanks for your help!