Thread: Savage Model 99 303 Serial # 15831 manufacture date 1900 stock bolt/bolt washer/metal sleeve question

Savage Model 99 303 Serial # 15831 manufacture date 1900 stock bolt/bolt washer/metal sleeve question

I am the proud owner of a 303 model 99 with the serial number 15831. That serial number returns a manufacture date of 1900/1901 on the Savage database. The stock bolt broke due to a car accident. I had the gun cleaned and fixed by a gunsmith. While sighting the gun in for hunting season I noticed that the butt stock was loose and sliding back about 6 inches and then stopping. I took the butt stock off and inside was the stock bolt and a metal sleeve. I ordered an original replacement stock bolt washer. My question is the original design just the bolt and washer or is the metal sleeve also included? How do you fix cracks in the butt stock?

Basic Member
    Never seen one with a sleeve around the bolt. Just about all my 1899's cracked in the tang area. If it's just a split, just spread it open wide enough to force some glue in the crack then clamp it until it's dry. I just use Elmers wood contractors glue, it's water proof and works great. Just wipe off the excess with a damp rag, or it scraps off easily when it dry.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keenan1561 View Post
    . . . . .loose and sliding back about 6 inches and then stopping. I took the butt stock off and inside was the stock bolt and a metal sleeve. . . . . .
    WOW!, Keenan . . . . I think you should find a new “gunsmith”!

Sounds like a “bubba” repair to me!

He must have used a longer-than-necessary stock bolt, with an ill-fitting thread, then a tube to make up the difference in the original stock!

I’m thinking the bolt loosened, then fell out completely . . . .allowing the stock to come back the “6 inches”!
    (Though, if the bolt COMPLETELY unscrewed, I’d think the butt stock would fall completely off!)

In any event, you need the correct length bolt, WITH THE CORRECT THREAD!

Here’s hopping the female thread in the receiver is not ruined, or the interior of the stock hole chewed up too bad!

Might need extra washers to compensate for a “chewed to deep” stock hole.

Quote Originally Posted by JimFsh View Post
    WOW!, Keenan . . . . I think you should find a new “gunsmith”!

Sounds like a “bubba” repair to me!

He must have used a longer-than-necessary stock bolt, with an ill-fitting thread, then a tube to make up the difference in the original stock!

I’m thinking the bolt loosened, then fell out completely . . . .allowing the stock to come back the “6 inches”!
    (Though, if the bolt COMPLETELY unscrewed, I’d think the butt stock would fall completely off!)

In any event, you need the correct length bolt, WITH THE CORRECT THREAD!

Here’s hopping the female thread in the receiver is not ruined, or the interior of the stock hole chewed up too bad!

Might need extra washers to compensate for a “chewed to deep” stock hole.
    I know about the gunsmith. I'm going to be making the repairs myself. Fortunately, the car accident that broke the bolt was only a couple of years ago. The gun didn't see much use until this year. This year was the first year that I was able to hunt with the rifle full time. As soon as I notice the Butt Stock sliding back I took it apart. I removed the sleeve and put on several slim washers to get the stock tight. I've ordered an original replacement stock bolt washer. I have the original bolt and it fits the thread very smoothly. When I was looking at the replacement stock bolts there seemed to be two lengths a 8" and a 5 1/2". I thought possibly that the bolt was originally 8". If the bolt was 8" instead of 5 1/2" then the stock would need both the sleeve and washer to stay tight. The current bolt and the new original washer will fix the issue. The stock is still very solid and doesn't seem to have any damage. I know that the stocks were stamped with serial numbers, is there somewhere that the stock serial numbers are listed. I believe that everything on the gun is original. It's been in my family for 3 generations, other than a weaver scope mount that hinges to the side so you can use the peep sight put on in the 60's nothing else was changed or added

Basic Member
    Correct about the 2 different stock bolts. There should be a serial number stamped under (or on the end) of the fore stock and another on the butt stock under the butt plate. Unless they've been replaced over the years.