Thread: zeroing question

zeroing question

So I'm a new owner of the axis2 xp in 270 win. and kinda new to scopes as well but age is having its way with the eyes sadly so here I am!
    so my question pertains to the fact that I only have access to a 50 yd range for zeroing and I'm seeking advice as to how I can zero for 100 yds on this range, I am thinking maybe I can zero an inch high at 50 yds. is this a viable thought?

Based on my Strelok Pro app I would say that would be a viable thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Based on my Strelok Pro app I would say that would be a viable thought.
    Thank you for the quick reply. Now I just have to find some ammo!! LOL

Basic Member
    Look up your ammo on a ballistics calculator. Set it for whatever range you want it zeroed for. Look at the path for 50yd and use that for your range.

My Nikon app shows this: for 270, Hornady 140gn SST @3090fps, scope is 1.5" above the center of the bore.

zero at 100yd
    at 50yd path is 0.28" low (remember it starts out at 1.5" below the line of sight).

So at 50yd you should make the group center approx 1/4" below the bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Look up your ammo on a ballistics calculator. Set it for whatever range you want it zeroed for. Look at the path for 50yd and use that for your range.

My Nikon app shows this: for 270, Hornady 140gn SST @3090fps, scope is 1.5" above the center of the bore.

zero at 100yd
    at 50yd path is 0.28" low (remember it starts out at 1.5" below the line of sight).

So at 50yd you should make the group center approx 1/4" below the bullseye.

So just to clarify are you saying I should zero a 1/4" low at 50 yds? As I said I am new to long range shooting and scopes as most of my hunting spots are at the most 50 yds but sometimes there are farther and I hope to take advantage of this. Thanks again folks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relicshunter View Post
    So just to clarify are you saying I should zero a 1/4" low at 50 yds? As I said I am new to long range shooting and scopes as most of my hunting spots are at the most 50 yds but sometimes there are farther and I hope to take advantage of this. Thanks again folks.
    Charlie B is correct. Scope height combined with the cartridge ballistics will get you there. Some of my scope heights are 1.8 inches or more. When bore sighting at 50 yards i "shoot for" (pun) about .5 to .6 low to result in a 100 yard zero. As long as you hit from 1/4 to 1/2 inch low at 50 you will be real close at 100.
    Good luck hunting.

Thank you all so much and as soon as I can find some ammo I will update this thread.

Basic Member
    If your happy with a 50 yard zero for the majority of your hunting, then stick with the 50 yd zero and simply get to know your gun.
    Zero simply represents a home base, ( a known place to return to ) when and ( if ) you need to dial your scope for more distant shots.
    100 yds has been the basic zero point for most simply because its a distance many have access to as for shooting.
    I would avoid dialing completely for most hunting if at all possible, because unless you do it frequently enough to have a good understanding of it, it can cause issues.
    It’s better to get to know your gun and use holdovers instead of dialing as much as possible for hunting.
    Some scopes have reticles with built in holdovers for a specific cartridge.
    And if you shoot enough to get to know it, it can also be used for different cartridges.

I prefer 30 yard zero for hunting rifles. Keeps most of the calibers I hunt with within 1 MOD out to 300 yds. I do shoot it at 100 to make sure everything’s right though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I prefer 30 yard zero for hunting rifles. Keeps most of the calibers I hunt with within 1 MOD out to 300 yds. I do shoot it at 100 to make sure everything’s right though.

With quite a number of the modern cartridges, dialing for shots up to say 400 yds is best avoided for many shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    With quite a number of the modern cartridges, dialing for shots up to say 400 yds is best avoided for many shooters.

I agree. When the clean harvesting of an animal is at stake, 400 yards is something that a hunter should be well versed in before attempting that shot.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I’ve personally have never shot at a deer at over 250 yds and it was a hit. Most are 75. That’s where the feeder is. I take two doe and a buck every year from my own land. Hogs are a very different story though I’ll hold over and take the shot if I can see it. The deepest right of way I have cut at the stand is 350yds and I have yet to see one over 200.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I agree. When the clean harvesting of an animal is at stake, 400 yards is something that a hunter should be well versed in before attempting that shot.
    More to do with ( HOW ) than how far as for shooting part.
    My 19 year old 90 # grand daughter got her third long range buck this year at plus 500 yds.
    I doubt she shot at all all year, except for a few rounds a few days before season at rocks on the hillside across from our camp.
    Of coarse she was assisted by a very experienced observer also, which is another key ingredient.

I agree with previous replys but would like to add an idea. Once you decide on ammo and measure scope height, look at MPBR. With the shooters calculator sight you can input data which will give you a near and far zero. For deer and hog hunting this would be more than adequate. The near zero will be under 50 yards so will be easy for you to set up rifle.

Basic Member
    Download a Ballistics app. Ballistics AE or Sterlok. Don’t mistake the post of ZEROING at 1/4” inch low will put you dead on at 100 yds. If you were dead on at 100 yds you would be roughly 1/4” low at 50 yds. Here is a 130gr Barnes bullet Zeroed at 50 yards. At 100yds it is almost .5” bellow center of X. I’d find a load you wanted to shoot, get a Ballistics app and if you are limited to 50yds then get on at 50 where I was on at 100. I know we are all aware that this is minute of deer but I personally would lay awake at night not knowing if I was dead on where I wanted to be.

Basic Member
    I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say except that you are using data for a different bullet.

The one I listed above showed a path that was 0.28" low at 50yd, so if he was using that bullet that is where he should zero. The example you show is different since it is a different bullet. It would also be different if he used different scope mount height, eg, high rings instead of medium or low rings.

That was why I originally stated to get use a ballistic app for whatever round he decided to use.

The biggest point was not to zero high at 50yd.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say except that you are using data for a different bullet.

The one I listed above showed a path that was 0.28" low at 50yd, so if he was using that bullet that is where he should zero. The example you show is different since it is a different bullet. It would also be different if he used different scope mount height, eg, high rings instead of medium or low rings.

That was why I originally stated to get use a ballistic app for whatever round he decided to use.

The biggest point was not to zero high at 50yd.
    I was referring to the folks saying to ZERO at 50yds. Just letting the OP know not to do that. I also wanted to put up a chart for him to have a visual. Not disagreeing with you, and your right 90gr to 500gr it doesn’t matter that’s what I have and shoot, therefore I used it for reference. I’m aware of all the aspects that take affect such as scope height, wind, temp and humidity, barrel length, ect. I just thought that I could piggy back the post with a visual and kinda put it out that shooting 50yds and throwing a tape up and marking 1/4” or .28” low and zeroing on that mark is not ideal.

That is why I was suggesting a Ballistic app and a load your, not you but the OP, rifle likes.

Basic Member
    Thanks.

I guess it is terminology then.

I consider it 'zeroing' in a rifle on a 50yd range in this case. And, no, not ideal, but, it works really well for reasonable hunting ranges. And, yes, I would put a piece of tape or mark on the target at the proper spot and go with it. Even if I could not verify before hunting I would know where my shot was going out to a couple hundred yards. No, you are not going to shoot into an Xring, but, it's better than going with just a boresight.

Basic Member
    I agree, if 50yds was all I could do, most definitely I would also. We know it would be minute of deer.