Thread: 6BR/Dasher extraction/ejection?

6BR/Dasher extraction/ejection?

I have an old flat back 110 long action that currently is set up with an original Savage 110 .378 bolt head and 223 bolt stop to feed from short action AICS pattern magazines in CDI 110LA/308 mag bottom metal.

I'm considering switching to 6BR or 6 Dasher, but am curious about others' experiences with how those short cases extract & eject.

I currently run Dasher in a 700SA with Magpul 7.62ACs but would use a MDT 6BR magazine in the 110 if necessary.

I do have a SSS enhanced extraction/ejection kit on the current .378 bolt head that I'd put on the new .473 bolt head with small version firing pin.

Thanks!

When I built my 6BR on a 110 action, I made mine single shot with a sled because the short round would not feed at all.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Hey BoilerUp, How have you been?
    GACop. I think he was asking about extraction and ejection.

Short or long action the distance between the breech and the ejection port is the thing that kicks the extraction and ejection in the arse. That short case seems to give Savage boltheads with the extractor/ejector design fits when it comes to getting it to the port before it falls off. Finding a way to make a standing ejector might be a plus. I know Fred will come along with the right answer soon.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Extraction/ejection wasn't all that great either, failed to mention that, thanks.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Extraction/ejection wasn't all that great either, failed to mention that, thanks.
    Always the gentleman.

Basic Member
    I have a 6mm br built on a 110 LA. I have a sled so its single shot, the problem is when the case exits the chamber, the ejector slams it in to the side of the action. Causes it to drop the case, happens because of the short 6mm brass.
    Changed the extractor ball to the bigger one and it helped a little but not much. Fred at SSS Told me about the case slamming the side as soon as it clears the chamber he suggested one of the Improved extra tor kits they sell. I ordered it did the installation and so far its working great, shot 3 VFS matches so far and only 1 dropped case. Pretty sure that was my fault, either way big improvement before it would drop dang near every case.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Basic Member
    I was having the same problem of cases falling off the head before ejecting, leaving the case in the action on my Fred built 6BR. I ordered an improved extractor kit from SSS just yesterday, but before doing that I took a close look at the problem. First thing I did was to use the extractor off another action, and it worked quite well on ejection of an empty cartridge. I look closely using 10x magnification at the differences in extractors on both bolts and found that the one that worked well extended deeper into the bolt face, and so grabbed the Lapua cartridge better.

Going to my small parts kit (I put together a few years ago when buying parts from Savage was less a problem) I pulled out all my extractors and cherry picked one that looked like it'd extend further. I installed it with the original size ball bearing and......it worked perfectly!

I think what's going on is the tolerance stack between the diameter and depth of the bolt face, and the extractor. If there's too much clearance, the cartridge rim is allowed to rise out of the bolt face socket (if i can call it that) by the ejector spring and allowing it to drop off the extractor. Certain cartridge case designs using the standard bolt head seem more susceptible than others. I also noted that the ejector hole on the left port, left ejecting actions is placed differently than on the right port type, and that might play a part in the ejection issue.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    The "divet" location for the ball bearing on the extractor can carefully be moved a few thousandths (.003-.006) with the correct "stone" or cutter bit with a dremel. Done this many times and does help.
    Also the path of the shorter cases is almost always deflected by the bolt raceway. Follow the path of the case immediately after the ejector pushes it upward. You will see when slowly withdrawing it, that it does not drag straight back. With the barrel removed you can remove material off the raceway & possibly the lug abutment to allow the case to withdraw with less "disturbance". Just a few things that may help complete ejection.
    Also if using a sled and single feeding removing the ejector & spring will allow you to "pluck" out the case without dropping in the port.

Not all extractors are equal.