Thread: Accuracy and cleaning rods...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accuracy and cleaning rods...

I recently purchased a savage 110 tactical, and put a vortex diamondback 6X24X50 on it. 1st day at the range was excellent, was using fiocchi 142 grain match king 6.5 bthp and the rifle was cloverleafing at 50 yds and within 1"to 1 1/2" at 100(probably due only to me).
    Returned a week later with federal american eagle 120 grn tmj target rounds, and my group opened up to 4 or 5 inches at 100yds, it was a big change. . I checked the usual suspects, rail,rings scope, action screw, the barrel cap, and everything seems fine. Now im out of state kind of freaking out because I read an article that said cleaning the barrel with a segmented rod could scratch it. I used an aluminum rod to clean it, and it was touching the barrel as I ran it down due to one ill fitting segment. How likely is it that an aluminium rod scratched the rifling after being ran down? I didnt reverse the brush in the barrel, and I thought for sure aluminum would scratch steel after one cleaning. Its the fluted barrel, im using a bipod and a bag under under the butt, I did remove the stock and set the accutrigger between visits, but everything seems tight...
    I had only put 60 rounds through the barrel before I tried the federal rounds, I fired 60 of the federal rounds. Im hoping my rifle just didnt like that lighter grain bullet. Thank you.
    Last edited by StephenM; 11-29-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: More info, correction