Thread: Surface rust on a 110EP bolt?

Surface rust on a 110EP bolt?

Good evening Gents,
    I just got back from a trip to Triple C to do some long range shooting with my 110EP .338LM and in the process of putting everything up before I can do a through cleaning tomorrow, I did a quick inspection... My bolt has rust on it! No it was not like that yesterday when I left for TX as I did an inspection to be sure everything was up to snuff for when I arrived. This is what I saw this evening when I unloaded...

It's not terrible but I am a tad concerned. It won't come off with a CLP soaked patch so what would you suggest? I have oiled it up just to slow the process until tomorrow and I could probably take some 0000 bronze wool to it but I don't want to mess up any surfaces as I am lead to believe that the action is blueprinted and I would hate to mess up any fitted mating surfaces. What say you? I'm not freaking out... yet! Thank ya'll in advance!

-Chris

P.S. I run desicant packs in my case to keep things line this from happening <sigh>

Update... Nevr-Dull to the rescue! A couple hours worth of elbow grease and the bolt is looking fine. I am relieved but I will be keeping a closer eye on things. Anyone have a good recommendation for removing Nevr-Dull residue? :lol: I'm leaning towards Hornady One-Shot gun cleaner with Dyna Glide Plus.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    Update... Nevr-Dull to the rescue! A couple hours worth of elbow grease and the bolt is looking fine. I am relieved but I will be keeping a closer eye on things. Anyone have a good recommendation for removing Nevr-Dull residue? :lol: I'm leaning towards Hornady One-Shot gun cleaner with Dyna Glide Plus.
    That would be my choice as well.

Excellent lubrication plus corrosion protection.