Thread: B22 Precison 22lr

B22 Precison 22lr

Just got a B22 Precision in 22lr for Christmas so I can't shoot it for a month! That doesn't mean I can't check it out and get it ready, so I'd like to ask some more experienced owners a few questions.

1. With the rifle there was only a generic B22 owner's manual. While the basic action is the same, is there more information available about the "red trigger" Accutrigger (I believe it is called the Target Accutrigger?).

2. Is there a Savage manual discussing the MDT chassis, or is there an MDT manual for the chassis (or the chassis family since I believe it is a custom chassis for Savage). One review I read indicated that there is a specific process that needs to be followed when re-installing the action into the chassis that needs to be followed for accuracy and for magazine function.

3. I've seen several YouTube videos about the step in the cam that cocks the striker. Is that a real problem (or was it a real problem and Savage has changed the ramp)?

4. Have also seen a couple of YouTube videos about wear/rounding of the extractor leading to extraction problems.

5. And one about the magazine tipping and the bolt sliding over the next round instead of picking up the round and chambering it. Anyone had that problem? Testing the action with dummy rounds as not shown the problem to me, but that is with very little data.

6. I notice that the bolt cycles very smoothly if I am careful not to put upward or downward pressure on the bolt handle. Adding pressure adds a lot of friction. Looking at the bolt handle channel sides shows rough surfaces, as are the surfaces on the bolt handle that rub on the channel sides. Any recommendations on polishing those surfaces to improve the feel of the bolt action?

Thanks for your help.

Basic Member

Cool A few Answers

Hey Skinn... - over 200 views and no replies ? ? Not very helpful, so I thought I'd give some thoughts. First, your title doesn't say you have questions so most views are looking for info themselves. Maybe put in some Q-marks ?? Second, I have the standard B22-FV (NOT SR), not the Precision but much of the action is the same.
    The Q's about manuals you'll have to search for, unless someone else chimes in.
    Q-3 about the cocking pin - the vids by Miles Sun ( http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dzc9dYhw0 ) is what I believe you're talking about. Follow his advice, he's right. His vid is over 2 yrs old, back when they came out with B22s - others are copycats.
    For Q-4 - I've only shot about 5-600 rounds - of many diff brands - so I don't know about wear, but it makes sense that when that occurs, you could 'sharpen' the tips of the extractors. I saw a vid about that on YT, so someone's had the prob.
    Q-5 re the mags - my best advice is to insert them with the bolt open. I do occasionally have them 'hang up' and completely 'seat' if I don't. I haven't had any problem with 'not picking up a round'. ONE prob that I've had - that is noted on YT vids - is fired cases jamming in the receiver, BUT that's from 1) Not cycling the bolt with authority and 2) empties occasionally hitting the scope and bouncing back down and hanging up there. Both NOT 'real problems' of the gun just the operator ;-)
    Q-6 - As for the bolt channels, if it bothers you you could smooth them a bit. I would use a Very Fine File, then hit the edges with 400 w/d (or Finer) paper to polish. You should do this to the cocking pin above, too. I did polish where the bolt handle locks down in the receiver, as that corner was pretty sharp on my rifle. Just like on the cocking pin. Best to reduce wear wherever you can. YMMV
    Good luck and I hope someone with a Precision answers you, too. Try a YT search for "Savage B22 mods" for lots more stuff.
    Ed

Thanks for the tips. Yes, it was the Miles Sun post that first caught my eye.

On the tilting mag, there was one YT video where the author actually installed a spacer in the mag well to keep the magazine vertical in the well. Mine fits well enough I don't think it will be a problem as long as I make sure it is fully seated.

Like you, I like to smooth and polish everywhere rubbing and wear occurs. I figure that will help speed up the break in period as well as prevent problems later on, but I don't want to over polish and mess up function. After that, it is down to shooting it and having fun.

Unfortunately, while I can edit my original post, I can't seem to figure out how to edit the title. Oh, well.

Basic Member
    Yep, that vid of the mag 'spacer' may be a defective mag or well. I've not seen any other comments about trouble with them except for the 'bolt-open' advice.
    I haven't tried to take apart my trigger assy, just blow some canned air thru it when apart for cleaning. My other guns I've polished all the innards ;-) but this one I've adjusted as tite as the screw goes and my luggage-scale says about 1.5 lbs. That's good enough for me, wanna keep all my toes ;-)
    And sorry about the title - I guess you can't change them - I tried one of mine too.
    Hope you have a great Christmas and can get out soon to shoot your present !!
    Ed

Basic Member
    Q3. Yes it is a problem, im not sure if they changed anything when the B22P was released. Id highly recommend getting in there and removing the sharp edge the cocking pin has to ride over. Also while you have it apart you might as well polish the internals of the bolt. Mine is like glass after a quick polish job.

You can also contact savage and request spare pins. I got my B22fv used and the previous owner did not debur the edge. Contacted savage and they send me some replacement cocking pins at no charge

Quote Originally Posted by RN923 View Post
    Q3. Yes it is a problem, im not sure if they changed anything when the B22P was released. Id highly recommend getting in there and removing the sharp edge the cocking pin has to ride over. Also while you have it apart you might as well polish the internals of the bolt. Mine is like glass after a quick polish job.

You can also contact savage and request spare pins. I got my B22fv used and the previous owner did not debur the edge. Contacted savage and they send me some replacement cocking pins at no charge

I did polish off the sharp edges on the cocking ramp. Looking closely the edges were pretty sharp. Could you share where in particular you polished the internals of the bolt? I'm being very careful about what I work on inside the bolt until I get a little more experience with it.