Thread: Savage Model 30 E Problem

Savage Model 30 E Problem

Good Morning guys,

First post here, have a question. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Savage shotguns, but I have a Model 30 E 12 gauge. When I got it, it was in rough shape and looked as though it had never been cleaned in all its life. Everything was gummed up and not working right. I took it down and cleaned everything, but its got a problem. During cycling the bolt doesn't lock forward before firing the next round. You can pull the pump handle back at will exposing the unfired shell. Is this a worn part? Occasionally it will lock, but 8/10 times it won't lock forward. Can anyone here tell me where to look for the source of this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

Basic Member
    Make sure the nut that holds the forearm on is tight!! If the forearm slides forward it won't close all the way!

If not that the slide lock and spring may need to be replaced. #39 and 62 on the schematic.

Thank you for the reply! I have had trouble getting the nut to seat flat on the end. No matter how much i've tried to rethread and time that pin to fit into a slot, it won't go down flush. Number 34 in the schematic is what won't seat firmly due to not being able to time that spring loaded pin. What am I missing? lol thanks

Basic Member
    It's been a long time since I took one apart!! See if the take down ring is still in place, #31. I don't think #34 is supposed to come out completely!! See if you can find a video on U tube or some on line instructions.
    I'll look through some of my references and see if I can come up with something!

Thanks Big Al! It doesn't come out all the way, but I'll take it all apart and see if i have something misaligned preventing it from seating all the way. Thanks again!

Basic Member
    There's a lot of Savage pumps out there but not a lot of info. All I know is they can be a real PETA when they don't work right!!

Would agree. I've done just about all the research i can find on the Model E and there really isn't much out there and not knowledgeable enough to know how close they are in comparison with some of the others. So far this gun has never acted right 100%, and its extremely frustrating lol, but entertaining at the same time. Just want to get it right for the accomplishment at this point lol.