Thread: Throat

Basic Member

Throat

I am not positive I am using the right term but my Axis seems to have a very long throat. With light bullets they are seated a long ways off the rifling. I have another rifle in the same caliber and there is nearly .100" difference. I knew all rifles wouldn't be the same but this seems like a lot between different brands. It seems to shoot well even with the great distance to the lands.

Basic Member
    You have the right term. My .223 Axis is long throated as well. Never has stopped it from shooting quite well. I have a Ruger American in .223 that seems to be cut to minimum spec and does not like to load anything but factory ammo. If you handload you can take advantage of that long throat...

Basic Member
    I will try some heavier bullets. On my other 223 the Hornady 60 grain V Max bullets with the flat base seem to shoot the best but I can't find anyone that has a supply. Having the flat base helps quite a bit over the boat tail bullets as far as having enough bullet in the neck and getting closer to the rifling. On the 52 grain BT I am shooting now I only have them in the neck .14" and they are a long ways off the rifling but they seem to shoot well. 5/8" and .5" groups today. I am also quite sure I messed up just a little on one shot in a couple groups. Maybe being off the lands a long ways doesn't hurt much but I have been led to believe closer is better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I will try some heavier bullets. On my other 223 the Hornady 60 grain V Max bullets with the flat base seem to shoot the best but I can't find anyone that has a supply. Having the flat base helps quite a bit over the boat tail bullets as far as having enough bullet in the neck and getting closer to the rifling. On the 52 grain BT I am shooting now I only have them in the neck .14" and they are a long ways off the rifling but they seem to shoot well. 5/8" and .5" groups today. I am also quite sure I messed up just a little on one shot in a couple groups. Maybe being off the lands a long ways doesn't hurt much but I have been led to believe closer is better.
    As long as it is shooting acceptable groups to you there isn't anything you can do. Some manufacturers intentionally make the .223 chamber and throats a bit longer.

Basic Member
    I would not worry about the jump to the lands if it shoots as well as you want. I have not measured the jump in my .223 for over 1500 rounds and it still shoots a consistent 0.5MOA (which is limited by me more than the rifle). But, I do like shooting the heavier bullets, 77SMK's. I still have some of the last batch I bought before the lockdowns.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I would not worry about the jump to the lands if it shoots as well as you want. I have not measured the jump in my .223 for over 1500 rounds and it still shoots a consistent 0.5MOA (which is limited by me more than the rifle). But, I do like shooting the heavier bullets, 77SMK's. I still have some of the last batch I bought before the lockdowns.
    Have you tried the 69 grain? I have a good supply of them but haven't tried them in the Axis yet. They really aren't supposed to be real stable at that weight but they seem to work in my other gun and I think they both have the same twist. I am kind of surprised a 77 would work though.

Basic Member
    I've fired a thousand or so 69gn SMK's and Nosler Match bullets. 77SMK's just work better. It was a surprise since a 1:9 is not supposed to stabilize the 77's.

From what I can tell the nose of the 69 and 77 are the same so I seat them with the same settings on the seating die.