Thread: Got my hands on one!

Got my hands on one!

Long story short.
    My friend bought a semiauto ar10 6.5 platform.
    Couldn’t get it to shoot any better than a consistent MOA.
    No he probably didn’t break the barrel in correct and he’s not really not patient enough to work on load development. His theory is if it want shoot stock match ammo “it’s not for me”

Anyway

Traded it for a 2020 ultralite 6.5

Wow savage. Great job.

Gun shot .3-6 pretty consistent with SMKs in a match load.

I don’t like the stock. His isn’t the camo one.
    I would still bed the lug area with JB weld.
    Savage skiped the accu stock to save money. It’s called the accu fit stock and may confuse a buyer that might not be aware.
    We didn’t shoot it crazy but burned some lead through it. Barrel never got over warm.

I think it would look great in a thin stream line wooden stock to match the beauty of the fluted bold and action. The barrel wrap has a hefty feel to the touch.
    Bottom metal has never been a fan of mine. I like to thumb push load blind mag but to each and his own.

I don’t like where the bolt release is. I like older 10 receivers.

Anyway.
    He missed a big deer with the 6.5 ar10 platform
    So this savage will ensure that doesn’t happen again.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I doubt it was the rifle platform.
    It just sounds like your friend can't shoot very well.

Get close enough and place one good shot in the vitals. You have to learn to shoot or else learn to hunt. And with a hunting bullet. Not a SMK. I like SGC ("Sierra GameChangers").

2 MOA is plenty good enough if you can close to 200 yards and know when to shoot and have a clear window through brush and cover.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Get close enough and place one good shot in the vitals. You have to learn to shoot or else learn to hunt. And with a hunting bullet. Not a SMK. I like SGC ("Sierra GameChangers").

2 MOA is plenty good enough if you can close to 200 yards and know when to shoot and have a clear window through brush and cover.
    Pretty much all bullets are made from lead with a thin copper covering.
    Some are different shapes, and some of those shapes perform better for different types of shooting.
    Some countries permit the thin covering over the lead to be metal in lieu of copper.
    In my home state of Pa, any bullet attracted to a magnate is illegal to use for hunting.
    But does that also mean that all bullets attracted to a magnet wont perform well?
    Actually it dosent, but as they say, thems the rules, and we all know about rules.

I would think Sierra knows their producte pretty well:

"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts."
    Sure, I have ended lots of woodchuck and many coyote careers with a #1410 Sierra HPBT MK (0.224"). That's not deer.

Though, to the original post, no hunting bullet of any composition or design works very well if it doesn't hit the animal. And, conversely, even a FMJ that had no real expansion will kill if put in the right place. But why not use a purpose built design to ensure the cleanest, fastest kill even if Murphy gives you a "wet willie" in the ear during the shot? Or the deer moves, twig interferes, wimmies and wobbles, etc.

The race is not always to the swift nor the contest to the strong . . . but that's the way you bet. ;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik