Thread: New member and left hand actions?

Canuck Bob

New member and left hand actions?

Hello from western Canada,

I'm researching a left hand rifle build and have found this site. I've only owned one left bolt and it was a 700 7MM Mag many years ago, hated it. Being a die hard lever rifle hunter I stuck with my 444 for many decades. Now I want to build a fun shooter that is very accurate. Researching many forums one thing struck me, people are always bragging about the accuracy and sensible price of thier Savages.

I'm hoping to end up with a tack driver with a laminate stock, longer barrel, preferably a short action cartridge.

I might as well start with 2 questions that interest me.

When folks talk about a switch barrel rifle do they mean they might have a 243 for varmints and year round shooting then drop in a 308 barrel for hunting season only? Is it really that easy, I've researched the headspace/barrel nut info.

Do the blind magazines require cycling the rounds through the action to unload?

Canuck Bob

Re: New member and left hand actions?

I have found the search phrase for researching switch barrel rifles. I realize that a switch barrel really appeals to me. I can spend the money on a nicer optioned rifle and arrange a switch barrel for the times I might need a heavy hitter. Or maybe a 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Sure glad I found this site.

possum1

Is it really that easy- yes it's that easy. Do the blind magazines require cycling the rounds through the action to unload- I use my finger to push the cartridge out of the mag and take it out manually. Don't know sh*t about left-hand rifles ;D Welcome to the site.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob
    I have found the search phrase for researching switch barrel rifles. I realize that a switch barrel really appeals to me. I can spend the money on a nicer optioned rifle and arrange a switch barrel for the times I might need a heavy hitter. Or maybe a 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Sure glad I found this site.
    Welcome. I'm also a lefty, there are a lot of us here.
    Yes it is that easy, it requires a few special tools but, nothing crazy. I did my first swap this past winter, couldn't believe how simple it was.
    The 243 to 308 would be no problem, 243 to 300 H&H (or 375 H&H) is a different matter because of action length.

My suggestion - pay the $12 membership, it will pay for itself many times over.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave
    .......243 to 300 H&H (or 375 H&H) is a different matter because of action length.
    Both action length and bolt head are different. I suppose it's possible to use a Savage long action for short action cartridges like the .243/.308 family and then change the bolt head and use longer action magnum cartridges.

Actually I'm not sure even the long action will handle full length .300 H&H based rounds. They ceratinly handle 30-06 length cartridges including all of the Winchester magnum and Remington magnum rounds.

Basic Member

Within a cartridge family it is very easy to swap Savage barrels.

The first time you swap barrels will take an hour or so.

After that, less than five minutes each time.

Consider the cartridge families as...

A.

17 Remington Fireball
    17 Remington
    204 Ruger
    221 Rem Fireball
    222 Rem
    223 Rem

B.

22-250 (different magazine box than 243 Win family)

C.

243 Win
    260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    308 Win
    338 Federal
    358 Win

D.

25/06 Rem
    270 Win
    280 Rem
    30-06
    338-06
    35 Whelen

E.

264 Win Mag
    7mm Rem Mag
    300 Win Mag (will need a different magazine box)
    338 Win Mag
    458 Win Mag

F.

375 H&H

G.

270 WSM
    7mm RSAUM
    7mm WSM
    300 RSAUM
    300 WSM
    325 WSM

H.

7mm RUM
    300 RUM
    338 RUM
    375 RUM

Canuck Bob

Thank you all, I was really kidding about the big magnums they are just too expensive to shoot. What does appeal to me is the 243 and 308 option. It would seem a natural for easy switching.

The cartridge family thread is most appreciated. I had wondered if I could pick up a 12 FLV and just switch in a 308 barrel. The different mag box answered that question.

Canadians don't enjoy the access to aftermarket parts like our American friends do. It makes a lot of sense to stay within a group.

ellobo

For heavy hitter a .35 Whelen or .338-06 would do the trick but require a long action. If you could pick up a long action Stevens 200 (same acton as a Savage long action) you could swap barrels to those calibers and .30-06 using the sme headspace gage. A used Stevens should be cheap.

El Lobo

Basic Member

I started out like you I only had one left handed gun. Now I'm on my third Savage and always looking for donor actions. Stocks can be tricky so I'll save you some time Stockade for synthetic /glass and SSS for laminate. Good luck..