Thread: New Axis

Basic Member

New Axis

I am going to continue the cleaning regimen Savage recommends. I just shot the first 5 shot group in the cycle. I figured on having at least two more done but I have been on the phone a lot. How some of these big companies can get things so screwed up I have no idea. I was charged twice for the rifle on my credit card. Anyway, I got it straightened out and just came in from shooting and the wind was fairly calm. It was about .6-.65 MOA. The three shot groups looked good but there was a lot more wind. How much it affected shooting maybe was not at all or some. This is just using a tape measure. I know it was no more than .65 MOA, maybe a little less. That is damn good for a bone stock rifle. I might not change a thing on it, just experiment with a few different bullet weights. The trigger had quite a little creep initially but that seems to be getting better.

Back to cleaning and reloading a few more rounds and hopefully get the cleaning cycle done tomorrow.

Sounds like a real good day at the range, congrats. Whats the caliber of your Axis?

Grouping like that from the get go is pretty darned good!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    It is a 223. I put in a varmint trigger spring in it I had. On the 110 model they say it is 1 1/2# but it measures 14 oz in my Axis. I admit I might not have the finest measuring scale but it is definitely light and easier to shoot now. I tried a little heavier bullet (69) grain and it is shooting slightly better. I also added a little weight to it with some lead shot and Rockite and it seems to sit on the rest a little more stable. Charlie B. seems to have the best luck with 77 grain so I have some on order to see what they will do. I am happy with it so far, seems like a nice, accurate gun for a low cost.