Thread: Boyd"s Prairie Hunter dimension question

Basic Member

Boyd"s Prairie Hunter dimension question

I'm looking to make a few tweeks to improve the looks and fit of my Axis 7mm/08 as a hunting rifle. One change is wanting to have a "wood" stock on the rifle. I'm ok with the overall dimensions of the factory plastic camo stock, just not the material. I grew up around sporter style wood stocks, and still prefer them on a hunting rifle. Might even get wild and go with a nutmeg laminate stock.

Rifle is for mostly Texas deer and any hog that appears. I have no interest in the varmint style stock for this rifle.

Can any one give me the cross dimensional measurement for the Prairie Hunter on the fore end? I don't like excessively wide fore ends on hunting rifles. I've looked at Boyd's and I've not been able to find this information. I was not able to get their customer help/sales response to answer the question either.

I'd also be interested if someone could also tell me how much comb height I would gain over the standard stock supplied plastic thing the rifle came with.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Robert

I can't exactly give you the specs, but I can tell you that the for end of the PH for the axis line is a pretty standard sporter stock forend that has the "finger channel or ridge" if you will.

As for the Monte carlo comb... I've found it to have quite a bit of drop/angle towards the front of the comb and I wish it had a little less taper. I had to add a strap on cheek riser to get my eye aligned correctly as I had to use X high rings for my scope to clear the very high angled bolt throw on the axis rifles.

Basic Member
    Thank you. This is helpful. My rifle has medium height scope rings for a 3x9 40mm scope.

Quote Originally Posted by txtrout75218 View Post
    Thank you. This is helpful. My rifle has medium height scope rings for a 3x9 40mm scope.
    As long as the bolt will clear your scope housing, that should work. I'm running a Redfield battlezone 6-18x44.

Basic Member
    Thank you.

I has originally thought it would be easy to find a stock dor this Savage, such as one of Richards Microfit stocks. I later learned it is not the same stock as a 110 series. Oh well, live and learn. Any increase in comb height will be beneficial, since the factory stock has that negative drop.

Basic Member
    I replaced my Axis 7mm-08 with the Boyds PH just a few days ago. Have not been to the range yet even. I did run into a significant problem; the length of the rear trigger screw supplied was too long. When screwed in it actually hit the trigger spring screw from the underside. This created just enough pressure to raise the thumb safety just a fraction, and downward pressure in the safety would trigger the firing pin... not sure if this is the correct term, but bottom line is the weapon had the potential to fire accidentally from pressure on the safety alone.

My have been the wrong size screw was supplied, may have been the trigger guard was machined too deep.. May have been the aftermarkets screw that came with the Mcarbro spring i had installed was a fraction too large.

Shortening the trigger guard screw fixed the problem, but definitely something you want to watch for. On other thing - the Boyds stock is significantly heavier. In my view it changes the handling of the weapon from a Mountain Rifle to more of a standard 9 pound rifle, something to consider of you are doing a lot of hiking.

Basic Member
    Thank you. Did you get one of the laminated stocks, or the walnut?