Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle barrel change

Rifle barrel change

I have a savage axis xp in .308. I have made a few upgrades and I am now considering to rebarrel it in a few months from the sporter barrel to a bull barrel. That means I have the chance to pick a different caliber considering it is a short action with the same .473" rim diameter. The primary purpose will be long range paper hole punching and I would like to eventually try to shoot at 1000+ yds. The second purpose would be medium game hunting (whitetail) at a range of probably 250-500 yds with the occasional big game hunt like elk at shorter ranges (100-300 yds). Should I stick with the 308 or should I go with something like the 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, or 338 Fed?

Team Savage
    Any should work. I do not think the 338 federal would be my first choice for long range shooting. I would probably lean heavily towards the 6.5 Creedmoor due to much better bc's. Might even consider the 6mm Creedmoor but that would start getting a bit light for elk in my opinion. I really like the 7mm-08 for hunting. That caliber would be great for the hunting ranges you are looking at but I think it may fall behind the Creedmoor when it comes to long range paper punching!

Basic Member
    I think you need more than one gun.
    Mind you all the cartridges you mention are good ones, and all have their place to excell.
    But i think your trying to stretch things a bit.

Basic Member
    The Axis receiver is actually a long action so you are not limited to short action calbers. That being said I agree you are asking for a lot from just one round. I think the 6.5 is closest to meeting your requirements. Get the barrel threaded and put a good brake on it...really makes it more enjoyable to shoot (for you at least ) and to be able to spot your own shots.

Everyone can always use another excuse to buy another gun, right . I am only home 2-3 months out of the year, so this is a question for the future. I'll keep doing some research in the meantime.

Banned
    none of these are better than 308 win period.
    none are valid accurate 1000 yard rounds tho 308 is shot at 1000.( loooong bbls like 30-34")
    while longer shots have been made, the mil considers the 308 with a 175 an 800 yard round and super sonic to 1000.
    to be realistic at 1000 you need a bigger 300 wsm or smaller case, 6 bra or 6 dasher( 308 bolt face).
    (i shoot long range paper,600.1000, 2000....i have never seen a 6.5 creedless at a match)
    you can read about my latest 308 win in the build forum

Quote Originally Posted by CCRBTH View Post
    I have a savage axis xp in .308. I have made a few upgrades and I am now considering to rebarrel it in a few months from the sporter barrel to a bull barrel. That means I have the chance to pick a different caliber considering it is a short action with the same .473" rim diameter. The primary purpose will be long range paper hole punching and I would like to eventually try to shoot at 1000+ yds. The second purpose would be medium game hunting (whitetail) at a range of probably 250-500 yds with the occasional big game hunt like elk at shorter ranges (100-300 yds). Should I stick with the 308 or should I go with something like the 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, or 338 Fed?

Banned
    and maybe ask management to put this up in the savage build section

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    and maybe ask management to put this up in the savage build section
    I placed this under the general rife discussion because the topic was cartridge selection and the fact that it is a savage does not affect the cartridge characteristics. If you think it belongs under savage build section, please contact management for me because I am a new member and cant DM people.

Thanks for your input above, I will definitely check out your build. I will probably bring my paper punching/ gong ringing in a few hundred yards. Also, I was surprised when you said 1000yrd competition shooters use 30" barrels, definitely not for my uses XD cant imagine trying to pack that in the car. I guess it adds weight and increase the velocity to reach out that far. Out of pure curiosity, wouldn't a shorter barrel be more accurate due to tolerances and barrel vibrations? I guess finding the perfect handload would be that much more important to match the barrel harmonics for those palma shooters.

none are valid accurate 1000 yard rounds tho 308 is shot at 1000.( loooong bbls like 30-34")
    while longer shots have been made, the mil considers the 308 with a 175 an 800 yard round and super sonic to 1000.
    I have never seen a 308 in Fclass. Don't see it in benchrest either. The fact that the 308 cant compete with any Fclass cartridge and that the 6.5 Creedmoor is way more popular than the 308 in PRS Like 100 to zero says you are illinformed. You competed against a Creedmoor at 2000 on your way to the two man world champion title contest. You were not using your 308.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    very selective discussion
    PALMA is ONLY 308, 800.900.1000 yards the adult version of f class.
    the 600 yard small group in benchrest was held by a 308 win until last year when it was beat by a dasher clone.
    the creedmore i shot against in the 2000 yard match was a 6 creed...and had zero luck at 2000.
    prs is not an ACCURACY game unlike benchrest and f class.
    its not hard to produce negative results with selective use of data, but someone may actually know
    the real story and post it.
    he never said he wanted to shoot fclass
    he never said he wanted to shoot 2000 yards
    he never said he wanted to shoot prs,
    glad you were able to stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have never seen a 308 in Fclass. Don't see it in benchrest either. The fact that the 308 cant compete with any Fclass cartridge and that the 6.5 Creedmoor is way more popular than the 308 in PRS Like 100 to zero says you are illinformed. You competed against a Creedmoor at 2000 on your way to the two man world champion title contest. You were not using your 308.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The Axis receiver is actually a long action so you are not limited to short action calbers. That being said I agree you are asking for a lot from just one round. I think the 6.5 is closest to meeting your requirements. Get the barrel threaded and put a good brake on it...really makes it more enjoyable to shoot (for you at least ) and to be able to spot your own shots.
    With this good piece of advice and covering more bases.....The .284 Winchester.
    with a 8.5 twist barrel.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    this is a good idea
    with 180 bullets and along throat( seat the bullets long/add case capacity).
    you will need to do some research. it may take a long bbl

this round has successfully shot long range and accurately
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    with a 8.5 twist barrel.

very selective discussion
    PALMA is ONLY 308, 800.900.1000 yards the adult version of f class.
    the 600 yard small group in benchrest was held by a 308 win until last year when it was beat by a dasher clone.
    the creedmore i shot against in the 2000 yard match was a 6 creed...and had zero luck at 2000.
    prs is not an ACCURACY game unlike benchrest and f class.
    its not hard to produce negative results with selective use of data, but someone may actually know
    the real story and post it.
    he never said he wanted to shoot fclass
    he never said he wanted to shoot 2000 yards
    he never said he wanted to shoot prs,
    glad you were able to stay on topic

You stated this...
    I disagree. Your statement will only hold up in Palma and FTR where it has zero competition with the Creedmoor or the 7mm-08 or anything else for that matter. The 6.5 Creedmoor will dominate the 308 in straight up competition to 400 to 1200 yards in the hands of the average guy and the hands of the professional as will the 7mm08.

Mike, with all do respect, Ill will stay on topic when you stop making outlandish claims.

Fuj,
    Now you are crawling in my space!

with a 8.5 twist barrel.
    But I have used the lesser 7mm08 for some amazing groups using 175's and 163's.

Basic Member
    Well for once i'm going to somewhat agree with Mikey, at least as far as this post goes.
    For most of what the OP wants to accomplish, the 308 would be a good choice, especially for the hunting part due to bullet selection.
    Along with the 06, they have been being used for 1000 yd competition at places like Camp Perry for a very long time.
    We use them for practice shooting at rocks at our camp even further than 1000 yds.
    My grandson has a Savage model 10 FCP in 308 and i think its the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
    We dont shoot for groups, at all, ever, in fact i could actually care less about small groups.
    Our interest lies in the rifle being able to repeat hits on the rocks we shoot at at the distances we hunt.
    And most importantly, us not losing the target due to recoil, and scoring a second round hit if the first one fails, regardless as to how much.
    Using the hammer is the issue, at least to a point, not the actual hammer itself.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well for once i'm going to somewhat agree with Mikey, at least as far as this post goes.
    For most of what the OP wants to accomplish, the 308 would be a good choice, especially for the hunting part due to bullet selection.
    Along with the 06, they have been being used for 1000 yd competition at places like Camp Perry for a very long time.
    We use them for practice shooting at rocks at our camp even further than 1000 yds.
    My grandson has a Savage model 10 FCP in 308 and i think its the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
    We dont shoot for groups, at all, ever, in fact i could actually care less about small groups.
    Our interest lies in the rifle being able to repeat hits on the rocks we shoot at at the distances we hunt.
    And most importantly, us not losing the target due to recoil, and scoring a second round hit if the first one fails, regardless as to how much.
    Using the hammer is the issue, at least to a point, not the actual hammer itself.
    I'm good with that. as long as we state that the 308 and the 30-06 are used at those ranges in competition because they are military cartridges. The only cartridge they are seen competing against successfully is the 223/556. If the 338 federal had been the GI cartridge it would be the one that was in competition.

My position was based on watching guys come to the firing line and get frustrated at their low "308" scores in F/TR. Guys like me, Mike, you and better than us know how to make it work. Give that same guy a 6.5 Creedmoor and he stays in the 10 ring(and X) at 600 yards with no problems. The 308 takes a skilled shooter reloader to shoot to 600 and +, a first time shooter with a little coaching is succesful right out of the gate. I wonder why that is?

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)

Banned
    in spite or your opinion i will stick with mine.
    we had a guy bring a 6.5 cm to a 600 yard match. he could not hit the target in his first 20 shots. when all his ammo was gone he left with a couple of hits.
    you ignored the fact that 600 yd benchrest record was held by a 308 win for years until recently. you say it is palma and fclass only BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.
    there are no 6.5 creenmore benchrest records.
    inspite of all the hype about 6.5 cm...THERE ARE NO COMPETITIVE 6.5 CM'S IN BR OR F CLASS...where accuracy counts.
    \claim what you want...the facts from the results do not support your opinion
    I'm good with that. as long as we state that the 308 and the 30-06 are used at those ranges in competition because they are military cartridges. The only cartridge they are seen competing against successfully is the 223/556. If the 338 federal had been the GI cartridge it would be the one that was in competition.

My position was based on watching guys come to the firing line and get frustrated at their low "308" scores in F/TR. Guys like me, Mike, you and better than us know how to make it work. Give that same guy a 6.5 Creedmoor and he stays in the 10 ring(and X) at 600 yards with no problems. The 308 takes a skilled shooter reloader to shoot to 600 and +, a first time shooter with a little coaching is succesful right out of the gate. I wonder why that is?

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)

in spite or your opinion i will stick with mine.
    we had a guy bring a 6.5 cm to a 600 yard match. he could not hit the target in his first 20 shots. when all his ammo was gone he left with a couple of hits.
    you ignored the fact that 600 yd benchrest record was held by a 308 win for years until recently. you say it is palma and fclass only BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.
    there are no 6.5 creenmore benchrest records.
    inspite of all the hype about 6.5 cm...THERE ARE NO COMPETITIVE 6.5 CM'S IN BR OR F CLASS...where accuracy counts.
    \claim what you want...the facts from the results do not support your opinion

Point is that the 6.5 Creedmore will outshout a 308 at medium to long range all day everyday with equivalent shooters. For hunting the downrange ballistics are better. Recoil is lower.

You get your 308 and Ill bring a 6.5 Creedmoor. 12lb maximum. Get 60 rounds together and I will get 60. We will compete at 800 and 1000 yards for smallest groups. Range must be 1000 feet or lower elevation. 5,000 into the pot. Winner takes all.

Banned
    so just to be clear.
    my OPINION is based on documented FACTS,
    your OPINION is based on YOUR OPINION.
    INSTEAD OF A MADE UP MATCH,
    just bring your 6.5 to any fclass match.palma match.
    and PUBLISH the results, vs OPINION.

Point is that the 6.5 Creedmore will outshout a 308 at medium to long range all day everyday with equivalent shooters. For hunting the downrange ballistics are better. Recoil is lower.

You get your 308 and Ill bring a 6.5 Creedmoor. 12lb maximum. Get 60 rounds together and I will get 60. We will compete at 800 and 1000 yards for smallest groups. Range must be 1000 feet or lower elevation. 5,000 into the pot. Winner takes all.

Banned
    i have been scouring the internet for actual DATA of 308 vs 6.5 SHOOTING ACCURACY.
    zero zip nada
    one big video....the rifles are not the same, and in spite of the claim, THEN NEVER SHOOT AND MEASURE GROUPS.
    they make claims based on BALLISTIC DATA, but zero real world feed back.
    big hunting site article, up front lets talk about accuracy...BUT THEY NEVER DO AN ACCURACY SHOOT. just charts and graphs.
    even justifies with"mil data" that shows 6.5 netter than 308 175 load EXCEPT the 175 data is old/out of date, not the current load.
    what i can see is they are very close. but i have yet to see a side by side, comparable rifles, target data.

side note the current mil smk 175 /imr4064 sniper load is done on high speed production equipment and still is producing 1.x" at 300 yards,
    the spec is 3.5 max at 300, all lots have been way under.

i have been scouring the internet for actual DATA of 308 vs 6.5 SHOOTING ACCURACY.
    zero zip nada
    one big video....the rifles are not the same, and in spite of the claim, THEN NEVER SHOOT AND MEASURE GROUPS.
    they make claims based on BALLISTIC DATA, but zero real world feed back.
    big hunting site article, up front lets talk about accuracy...BUT THEY NEVER DO AN ACCURACY SHOOT. just charts and graphs.
    even justifies with"mil data" that shows 6.5 netter than 308 175 load EXCEPT the 175 data is old/out of date, not the current load.
    what i can see is they are very close. but i have yet to see a side by side, comparable rifles, target data.

side note the current mil smk 175 /imr4064 sniper load is done on high speed production equipment and still is producing 1.x" at 300 yards,
    the spec is 3.5 max at 300, all lots have been way under.

Look Mike, I am registered NRA High Master in FTR for mid and long range. I never shot Palma. I have 10,000 plus round shooting from 400 to 1200 yards with a Creedmoor. Im not a world champion but I think MY FTR gun will compete with you if not beat you. My 6.5 creed smokes my FTR rifle without trying.

Since you do not understand how search engine query works I will help you.

https://bfy.tw/PkxG

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+for+long+...=v217-1&ia=web

Maybe try 308 with something like this for the paper punching only? It looks really cool!

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...-line-bullets/

Banned
    actually you proved my point with your incorrect statement.( i do know how to search, your search is just as bad as mine0
    the FIRST LINK IN YOUR SEARCH LINK HAS ZERO DOWN RANGE TARGET DATA......ZERO.
    all info is charts and graphs based on data claimed by the ammo maker.

REAL WORLD...how much does your 6.5 cm look like his axis ?
    how long is your bbl ?
    does it weigh less than 12 lbs ??
    bottom line, in real world he has no reason to change calibers.
    Look Mike, I am registered NRA High Master in FTR for mid and long range. I never shot Palma. I have 10,000 plus round shooting from 400 to 1200 yards with a Creedmoor. Im not a world champion but I think MY FTR gun will compete with you if not beat you. My 6.5 creed smokes my FTR rifle without trying.

Since you do not understand how search engine query works I will help you.

https://bfy.tw/PkxG

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+for+long+...=v217-1&ia=web

Banned
    running solids in target loads may require a new throat/neck.
    ohh and they aint cheap...go look at the bullet prices...bullets not ammo

Quote Originally Posted by CCRBTH View Post
    Maybe try 308 with something like this for the paper punching only? It looks really cool!

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...-line-bullets/

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Robinhood;

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)[/QUOTE]

The one owning the 308 is now 20 and a college student.
    We bought him a Savage Axis in 243 when he was about 11 as i recall, and the 308 when he was about 13 or 14.
    He had been shooting our 223s since he was big enough to shoot, and had considerable practice with those at rocks and clay birds.
    The Axis was just a walking around type hunting gun, but he really learned to shoot well at distance using the 308.
    My oldest grandson is now 40, and a trauma surgeon at the childrens hospital in Philly, and known as CHOP.
    He is a shooter/hunter also, but due to his profession dosent get much time.
    Theres much demand for trauma surgeons in places like Philly, and just across the river is Camden NJ.
    He also has a son who is now 12, one of my 7 great grand children.

Fuj,
    Now you are crawling in my space!

But I have used the lesser 7mm08 for some amazing groups using 175's and 163's.
    And why I developed the SA284. That shortened .284 has the same
    overall length as the 7/08, and the ability to use 3 more grains of
    powder. In my long throated test barrel. I'm currently working with the
    183 pointed Sierras. With Ramshot Hunter, I'ts doing better then the
    180 bergers. and I'm only using a 26 inch, 8.7 twister. Next barrel will
    be a 29" (finished) and 8.5 twist. Plan is to hang out around the 2800
    range and shoot bug holes at 300. Mid South shooters is shipping me
    1000 of the Sierras, I like them that much with this wild cat. Maybe
    prime time this coming season. 1000 yard Ridge was canceled this past
    year because of Covid.

As for the 6.5 Creedmoor versus the .308 ?? Yeah there's no debate there.
    Sure impressed our armed forces to proceed chambering the cartridge.
    I no longer shoot one. I got bored with it.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast