Thread: Stock and trigger mods for the Edge

EasternYote

Stock and trigger mods for the Edge

Hello everyone....new to the site, but glad I found ya!
    I have a shiny new Edge that I haven't tried out yet but......
    I hate the trigger pull on this thing! can I put a Accutrigger on the edge as a replacement or should I go with a Rifle BAsix? The smitty here says he can get the stock trigger down to maybe 3 lbs. Good but I'd want some room to move with that.

Second problem is that right from the get-go I knew the wrist on these rifles looked very weak, even for a lighter cal .223. I read about someone who found that even slight downward pressure on the wrist will make the stock flex in the vertical plane. He's right! I tried it and I don't like that!
    Since the price was right and I needed a cheaper Yote gun I didn't quibble too much, but it's bugging me and I'd like to work the stock..
    Question is, has anyone fiberglassed or bedded steel rods thru the grip and/or foreend to deal with the flexing?

Thanks for your help....Yoteseason is getting close and I wanna get at it.

Eastern'

Re: Stock and trigger mods for the Edge

no trigger replacements yet.

many have added different things to the stocks to help them. still some flex, but a lot better.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Welcome to the site.

According to the info on the Midway site, a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger will fit the Edge also. Although I have a Rifle Basix SAV-1 box and it doesnt say it on the box(but it may have been made before the Edge came out).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=254387

The problem with that stock is that you can install a steel rod in the grip to stop the flex there, but it will still flex in the recoil lug area(seems to be a weak point on Savage factory synthetic stocks). So then you could also bed in a rod in the barrel channel and try to make it go under the recoil lug, which will stiffen it up some. Course you could always do that at a later date too.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

82boy

You could get an accu-trigger to fit and work but you would be defeating the purpose. Your smith is right about 3lbs is as low as it will go. No replacement stock are in existence, and I don't know of anyone that will make a custom stock. My advise to you is; if you don't like the Edge/Axis as it, is sell it and buy a Stevens 200.

EasternYote

OK, a rod thru the wrist and maybe bed a rod under or around??? the recoil lug area. That's what I was hoping for.
    Trigger???? Why would buying an Accutrigger defeat my purpose? You mean the economical pricepoint of the edge to begin with? OK, I see that...But I may end up with a SAV-1 anyways(85.00 plus shipping to Canada).

I hate the looks of the Stevens even more than the Edge...a friend has one he just worked on witha 3lb triggerpull. It's way better than the edge right now, but a bit more than I was hoping for...We use the same smith...

I'll look into it more. HAs anyone stiffened the recoil lug area on these edge rifles? Pointers???

Thanks
    Eastern'

Rebels7

Here is a nice comparison betwwen the Edge and the Stevens 200.http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...e-rifle-review. The edge has a completley different recoil lug setup than existing Savage/ Stevens stocks. The Trigger has the same genaral shape but the spring is completely different. I like the look of the stock but I have not held one yet to get a feel for it. I think I would like the larger safety tang.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by EasternYote
    Trigger???? Why would buying an Accutrigger defeat my purpose? You mean the economical pricepoint of the edge to begin with? OK, I see that...But I may end up with a SAV-1 anyways(85.00 plus shipping to Canada).
    Because the trigger will only go down to 3lbs do to the design of the gun. So you can put an accu-trigger in the gun, and still have the same trigger pull you just now have a funky blade safety, that will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternYote
    OK, a rod thru the wrist and maybe bed a rod under or around??? the recoil lug area. That's what I was hoping for.
    Will not work because the trigger guard makes up at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the wrist area. The back of the stock is thin and hollow, the wrist area has groves molded into it to strengthen it, It just doesn't get any better.

The Edge has a half a recoil lug that is supported b the stock. You can do what you want but it is about as good as it is going to get. The gun is good for its design, but it has its limits. If you want to modify it then you are just better off getting a Stevens 200, if it comes down to looks then buy a stock to make a Stevens 200 look like an Edge.

Pat is right. While the rod in the grip and the channel may help some(if it can be done), it will never take all the flex out of it and is gonna be ALOT of work to do it. I have done it to a Stevens stock but not to an Edge. By the time I got done I had wished I just bought a Duramax stock for it. It helped some but still flexed. BUt I had fun doing it and it was a learning experience so it was worth it to me in the long run, but I still replaced the stock later on.

Problem is, if you mess the stock up there are no replacements for it, and no take-offs either cause nobody is replacing them as of yet. Something to think about before you start.

As far as the look of the Stevens, you could always camo the gray stock or paint it black, and it looks 100x better.

I had thought about buying one of the Edges, but for the small price difference between the Stevens and the fact there are so many more options with the Stevens I think it is still the better deal offered by Savage.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

EasternYote

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Pat is right. While the rod in the grip and the channel may help some(if it can be done), it will never take all the flex out of it and is gonna be ALOT of work to do it. I have done it to a Stevens stock but not to an Edge. By the time I got done I had wished I just bought a Duramax stock for it. It helped some but still flexed. BUt I had fun doing it and it was a learning experience so it was worth it to me in the long run, but I still replaced the stock later on.
    Problem is, if you mess the stock up there are no replacements for it, and no take-offs either cause nobody is replacing them as of yet. Something to think about before you start.
    As far as the look of the Stevens, you could always camo the gray stock or paint it black, and it looks 100x better.
    I had thought about buying one of the Edges, but for the small price difference between the Stevens and the fact there are so many more options with the Stevens I think it is still the better deal offered by Savage.
    YA , I see what you're saying. I didn't really compare the Stevens against the Edge in detail...and at the time did not consider doing many mods to it as I figured for the price of the package deal I got, I'd just go shoot!
    I like the feel of the Edge stock better and importantly, it fits me better witha longer length of pull. I coulda went either way, but what the hay! It's not a bad deal and the accuracy is very good out of box so I hear. HAven't even broke this thing in yet. Time to play is minimal, heck I don't even have any ammo yet! ::)
    I have never much in the way of modifying rifles as I use them strictly as a tool to harvest game for the freezer only. But this is a predator specific acquisition and I'd like to get it to a good place as best I can for trigger play and accuracy.

ellobo

I have heard that Timney is making a triggerfor the Edge. You might want to check thier website or give them a call.

El Lobo

EasternYote

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    I have heard that Timney is making a triggerfor the Edge. You might want to check thier website or give them a call.

El Lobo
    Yes ellobo, I will do that.
    Thanks

EasternYote

Talked to Timney today about a trigger for the Edge. The las said he wasn't sure if they made one to fit without tinkering with fitting. Sounded like this would be THE place to buy a trigger if/when they make a drop-in model for the Edge...just not sure when that will be. I like the fact that they can tune it to my specs BEFORE they ship it, all set up-ready to go! NICE!!