Thread: 111 - scope rail bedding

111 - scope rail bedding

Just finished bedding the new scope rail on my older 111 (flat rear). Currently bedded the rear (flat) side only. Would bedding the front (round) side as well be beneficial or it makes no difference as long as the rear sits tight?

First off, I see nothing wrong with bedding a base, front and rear especially on a magnum or 30-06 sized case.
    Secondly, bedding the rear. How did you do it? was it snugged tightly or what? Sometimes the old FB receivers were milled out of square with the top of the action. First thing I do is tighten the front screws and see how it fits with the rear flat. I have bedded the rear without the screws being tight.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The reason I had to bed the new rail is because I could see the light between the back of the rail and the flat part of the action it was sitting on. From what I dug out about it, seems like fairly common occurrence. I did the same thing as in the video bellow:
    - https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE
    So, since the rear is sitting tightly now, I was wondering if I should also do the front the same way or it doesn't mater since the rear is done ... can't seem to find any info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    First off, I see nothing wrong with bedding a base, front and rear especially on a magnum or 30-06 sized case.
    Secondly, bedding the rear. How did you do it? was it snugged tightly or what? Sometimes the old FB receivers were milled out of square with the top of the action. First thing I do is tighten the front screws and see how it fits with the rear flat. I have bedded the rear without the screws being tight.

I’ve only bedded the backs.
    I wax the rear of the receiver.
    Wax the rear screw holes. Wax the rear screws. Spread JB weld on the rear of the rail bottom.
    Lay it on the gun and tighten the front of the rail to receiver. Then run the back in just snug.
    Take a Qtip and clean up.

Bedding the rear gives you a little MOA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    sounds like the perfect place to use a one pc STEEL rail with jb weld.
    figure out where straight and level are.

Basic Member
    60mg
    I would say you accomplished the main goal of bedding a flat back receiver (eliminating stress that will be transferred to the scope tube etc..). I tend to bed both the front and rear of a one piece mount when I install it but I can’t say it would or would not be worth going back and bedding the front after the fact.
    Good luck.