Thread: New 110 Misfires

New 110 Misfires

Just got a new 110 Varmit and in the process of breaking in the barrel. First session of five shots, no problem. Second session of three three shot groups and a five shot group resulted in at least three misfires. Inspection of the primers indicated no firing pin indention of any kind. Any suggestions?
    BTW all the illustrations of bolt disassembly I have found show removing bolt aft end with a hex or slotted screwdriver. On my rifle the firing pin protrudes through a hole in this cap to indicate that it is cocked. How do I femove this cap to start disassembly?
    BTW2 the barrel nut is smooth. How is it removed without destroying it with a pipe wrench?

To remove your bolt-
    make sure rifle isn’t loaded
    install bolt
    pull the trigger
    insert hex key

Not sure how familiar you are with the Savage accu-trigger?

Have you done anything to it since getting it (it is "user adjustable")?

Is it possible you're tripping the safety on the trigger with your finger when pulling it?

I had a friend and new shooter, not familiar with the accu-trigger come out and shoot my 12F once. He kept tripping the safety release on the trigger by not pulling *straight* back on the blade with the middle of the pad of his finger. Granted, that was the Target Trigger on the 12 F, but if someone has adjusted yours, maybe it's set too light and tripping the safety?
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

I am new to the Accutrigger and have setit to lightest pull. But I could distinctly hear the pin fall. Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll try to remember it the next time at the range. BTW immediately after submitting the post I found I could remove the end cape with a hex after unloading the firing pin

Take it back is what i would do, or to a gunsmith....

Now there is another problem that occurred on my rifles , from using that H--dy One Shot, spray lube...I thought it was great, until my rifles sat in the safe a couple months.. It left some kind of residue on all moving parts....So I had to break down every rifle i had, and use a strong cleaner to get that invisible film off.. It stuck firing pins etc on a couple of mine..I went back to using 3 an 1 oil ...

Team Savage
    Because of arthritic trigger finger, I trip the Accutrigger safety often. When the safety device engages, it sounds like the firing pin fell. Readjust the pull weight and try again. You have to pull the safety blade and trigger straight back, side pressure on blade or trigger will cause this problem too.

Team Savage

Having an Accutrigger set to its lightest pull weight will commonly cause safety to trip before trigger, I'd do as bsekf suggests and increase pull weight a bit then try again.

I would increase the trigger pull back to *at least* half way back to the stock pull, and then go try it again.

I'm pretty sure you're going to find that this fixes the problem entirely. Taking all the adjustment out (lightening) is what is causing the issue.

My 3 "standard" accu-triggers have never been adjusted from their stock pull, and I've never tripped the safety on them one time.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    I would say you are definitely tripping the accutrigger safety. I know it sounds like the pin is dropping, but if there is no dent in the primer, there is no pin drop.

One way to know this has happened is you'll notice that the accublade is full forward and locked right after you've had a FTF, and before you lift the bolt. This is a sure sign you've tripped the safety and there was no pin drop.

Some things you can do to remedy this: First of all set your spring gradually tighter until you can get a reliable break without tripping the safety. Always pull straight back on the trigger. Do not side load it. If it still seems too sensitive to tripping, you can shim the accublade with a shim kit from triggershims.com.

You can drop your pull weight significantly by putting a small amount of never seize in the notch on the sear. This allows you to set your rear spring to a reliable break and still have a very light break. You can get a varmint trigger to break at about a pound by using these hacks, but you'll have to be much more careful in closing the bolt, as that is the number 1 reason for tripping a lightly set accutrigger.

If you want a super light break, you can buy a used red blade accutrigger off the boards and install it on your action. That'll get you down to under 6 oz if you use the above hacks.

When at the range and you notice the accublade is locked up, simply raise the bolt and close it carefully. This will reset the safety blade. No need to cycle the bolt and eject a round.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.