Thread: Added another one to the bunch...and an odd question

Added another one to the bunch...and an odd question

Picked up my now 3rd Savage rifle to add to the collection. A 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. Ordered it online from smga.com and shipped to local FFL.

In the past my guns have come with stickers on the stock and a tag on the trigger guard. None of those were there. The bolt face seemed awfully dirty so I cleaned it and then cleaned the barrel. Good god was it DIRTY. This normal? Do they shoot these Proof barrels in more than few shots? I know all/most guns get shot but this seemed way more than I've ever seen before.

Yeah..I should have taken before photos...but you know...new gun and all I was just excited to get it out and cleaned up.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll find out if she's a shooter or not...if she is...I'll probably not care anymore...if she's not...then maybe I will

Basic Member
    It does not seem normal, my brother and i both have ultralites and both came with stickers and at least mine wasn't any more dirty than a normal savage when new.

Thanks,

I'm trying to get in touch with them but not having any luck...

I cleaned up the bolt/barrel and put some rounds down range to get the scope sighted in and then 5 for a group. It shot .5 MOA and the bolt looked as good as when I cleaned it. That's concerning as to then how many rounds must have been put down the pipe to get the bolt as dirty as it was. I even shot my rounds with a suppressor.

Love the gun and really wanted the dark multicam pattern which is why I found this place that had it in stock. Kind of wish I had just gotten the gun from my local place like I usually do at this point.

Basic Member
    If it shoots well then why worry about it? Savage does test fire rifles, some more than others.

Missing stickers might be simply due to the retailer removing them as a display item. Or, they might consider it a 'service' to buyers.

If you think it might have been sold to someone else before you then I'd contact the seller. Don't know if FFL's can access records, but, if it was sold to someone else prior there would be a federal record.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If it shoots well then why worry about it? Savage does test fire rifles, some more than others.

Missing stickers might be simply due to the retailer removing them as a display item. Or, they might consider it a 'service' to buyers.

If you think it might have been sold to someone else before you then I'd contact the seller. Don't know if FFL's can access records, but, if it was sold to someone else prior there would be a federal record.
    Not sure how things have changed but the ffl holder used to hold the records until requested. That would put all the info back in the hands of the seller who may or may not have took the rifle back from the original buyer.
    I hope the OP registered it with Savage. They might have records of it being sold "twice" if it indeed was registered twice.
    Also "sooty" bolt may have been caused by foreign material in the case neck area of the chamber that prevented proper seal.
    Just an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If it shoots well then why worry about it?

If you think it might have been sold to someone else before you then I'd contact the seller.
    Agreed on the first point...just seemed odd. I did contact them via email as I couldn't get through on the phone. They at least did write back and say it was new and they got 3 of them on Oct 1st.

The rifle shoots great...and I did register it with Savage.

I feel lucky I found some ammo at a decent price...at least I can shoot that and I'll have some brass to load until the good brass comes back in stock. Vortex Razor HD LHT mounted and I'm really liking this rifle and round so far.