Thread: How much does it cost to open up a long action mag area to RUM length ??

Team Savage

How much does it cost to open up a long action mag area to RUM length ??

The ejection port is long enough, just need the mag box area opened up.

Also is there such a thing as a centerfeed RUM internal mag box ??

dcloco

Re: How much does it cost to open up a long action mag area to RUM length ??

first thing I thought of too was the one in the classifieds.

Then sell your existing action to regain some funds.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Team Savage

Thanks guys and that is a good option, but I have a SS, small shank, control feed, and would like to stick with that setup.

Maybe I could get lucky one day and find a SS 375 H+H control feed small shank rifle.

catfish

Its a pain. I have a factory 300 rum savage and there is not exactly alot of bedding area left, lol. If you change stocks a long action stock doesnt have enough room for the mag. Everything is a pain.
    Even with the longer magazine its still to short.
    Personally for a rum or larger id go with a heavy duty single shot action(solid bottom).
    Right now my rum is in a choate varmint stock with the mag removed, its kind of like a drop port br action, each fired shell falls into mag hole in the stock, lol.
    I dont even have 100 rounds through mine but i do love the gun, espically since i added the choate stock.

catfish

I lost my cam and this is the only pic i have, did i mention it has a fuzzy barrel, lol.
    [img width=600 height=449]http://onfinite.com/libraries/1391475/a0d.jpg[/img]
    And you definitely need a heavier duty recoil lug than factory one for a rum

Also just an fyi, you can do a rum on a small shank barrel. I was going to have one done for my uncle but his smith did one for him. the smith put the barrel on without a recoil lug and also twisted the action, then bend it again upon removal.

Team Savage

Don't really want it for a rum.

It is for a 458 winmag that I want to run long at around 3.6" + , IE at 458 lott length or I might have the barrel rechambered
    to 458 lott eventually.

Also I might get a 375 H+H barrel one day, although the 375 ruger is a great round
    and it runs on a long action.

I have a thick machined recoil lug on it now.

This is not something I have to do asap as I have not finished exploring 458 WM powders with heavy bullets.
    I can run it at 3.4" right now as-is.

~Ace~

I run 3.850 - 3.890 in a Modded Factory Box Mag ... in a 7mm Mag Donor action... it can be done, and done well. Info is on this site and others.

different smith charge different rates. you better off calling them then going with our guesses
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor