Thread: Broken 110 stock

Broken 110 stock

Hey guys,

Couple questions here. I have a Savage 110 left hand blind magazine in .270 (so long action I believe?) that was given to me for my 18th birthday. Recently, I had noticed that the rear retaining screw for the trigger guard had stripped out. When elk hunting this week, somehow my sling screws backed themselves out and it fell to the ground hitting the barrel and the force caused the entire stock to split in two right at that stripped screw. I'm here to get opinions on replacement stocks and whats the best way to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the rifle. I also would really like some information on how to exactly identify which generation this is.

So far my search has mostly landed me on getting a Boyd's laminate stock. I would like to see if anybody recommends them or more importantly if anybody really dislikes them. I MIGHT consider a more expensive synthetic, but I only want something that is going to be a true upgrade from the solid wood stock that was on it. I also don't really like the look of synthetics. Another thing about Boyds is that they don't seem to have any color's that I really think I want on it. I liked their ripple timber that I saw on some other rifles but I don't see it being offered. Maybe the nutmeg but I'm not sure.

Are there any others to look at for laminate stocks that are around the same price range for 110s? Is it pretty recognized that a laminate is going to be an upgrade from the stock one that came on it? Is it a good idea to just straight away pillar bed? And lastly, would it be worth it to convert to a drop down magazine? How much more would that cost to make that conversion?

Sorry for so many questions. I have not torn into rifles all that much before, just shot them my whole life. Usually been more of a set it and forget it kind of guy until my gun comes back in pieces.

Oh yeah, I also wouldn't mind some recommendations on some not too expensive scopes that are close to a 4-16 power or so. All it has is the simmons that came on it. Thanks in advance!

Boyds also sells their stocks in hardwood.

If your magazine is attached to the Action then it is stagger fed. In the stock it is center fed. DBM? If you look at the top of the magazine a stagger feed will present the cartridge from alternating sides. A center fed presents the cartridge in the middle.

Synthetic stocks are normally more expensive. Bell and Carson is a good value but is restricted on options so there is that. Also you have a much larger increase in price with a finished Stockade. Be careful on the fill option.

Buy once cry once on the optics. Used is a good place to go like a Nikon Monarch or even a not as clear but tough enough used Bushnell 3200, 4200 or 6500 series. You probably should have a price range for a suggestion.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a Boyds pepper laminate I really like it. Midway has some great deals on Vortex Viper scopes right now, a 4-16 for $379.00 real nice scope for the money. Great warranty excellent for hunting in my opinion.

As for what generation, under the rear scope base is it flat or round? Early 110's had the flat back and newer had the round.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Team Savage
    It's hard to beat a piece of Walnut. Richard's Microfit seem to have good prices and sales from time to time. Expect a longer wait time and more finish work. Sometimes they have something in stock, however.

Basic Member
    I have a Boyds solid walnut stock on a 110 long action. It is a good stock. i highly recommend Boyds. I have 3 and sold on but all did the job.