Thread: internal magazine issue

Basic Member

internal magazine issue

Hi folks, was wondering if any one had some advice on the below.

My brother put a new hogue stock on my nephew's center feed top load 7mm-08. Problem is now it jams and want hold shells. I do not have a top load and was wondering how the shells are supposed to ride in this -- it is a center feed.

When he took the magazine out, he bent it up pretty bad. I have worked with it to where it now holds shells, but want feed. I may have to order him a new one and guess can only get this from the factory. It should not be that hard and maybe I just need to study it further or go to the website and look at a manual.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wal0001 View Post
    Hi folks, was wondering if any one had some advice on the below.

My brother put a new hogue stock on my nephew's center feed top load 7mm-08. Problem is now it jams and want hold shells. I do not have a top load and was wondering how the shells are supposed to ride in this -- it is a center feed.

When he took the magazine out, he bent it up pretty bad. I have worked with it to where it now holds shells, but want feed. I may have to order him a new one and guess can only get this from the factory. It should not be that hard and maybe I just need to study it further or go to the website and look at a manual.

Thanks
    Is it a bottom bolt release?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    no -- top release internal magazine.

Basic Member
    Did he bend up the shell of the magazine or the L shaped piece of metal that locks it in place? That shell/spring/follower are nothing more than a detachable magazine with the bottom cover removed. You do have to line everything up carefully when pushing the whole assembly back in the stock....it can be a PITA.

Basic Member
    not sure what he bent. He indicated that the magazine was in so tight, he had to get some needle nose plyers to pull it out, so I am thinking the shell is somehow bent. But I don't have one to compare too. I would imagine they are not too overly expensive and will see if I can find one. Thanks

Basic Member
    When you say it won't feed, do you mean the bolt is hitting the mag or the round is doing something wonky? And yes...they can be hard to remove. I use a small screwdriver and slide it under the L clip and slowly pry the back of the mag up while using my other hand to pull up on the front of the mag. Lots of wiggling later and it's out. That mag is spring steel and is pretty tough stuff.

Basic Member
    celltech is right that it takes a bit of care to refit the hidden mag into place so that the cartridges will feed correctly.
    That rear tab can be a real PITA.
    The first time I messed with my first hidden mag, I experienced the same problem until I found out that the rear clip wasn't correctly seated.

If you have any other Savage detachable mag you can check to see if the hidden mag shell is still in the its original shape.
    If your brother bent the hidden mag shell, I have no idea whether it would cause the same feeding problem.

Put the safety in the middle position. Test to see if it will "fire". You need a no fire condition or we fix our trigger, then move forward.

Pull the bolt out. Load the magazine. Look down through the rear of the action. Is the cartridge high enough for the bolt to strip it out of the magazine? Put the bolt back in and test the cartridge movement as the bolt head makes contact with the base/rim of the cartridge. Move it in small increments, watch the cartridge as it moves forward. The cartridge must stick up high enough and stay high enough through the whole stroke of the bolt. It also must lift up in the front enough to where the bullet glides into the feed ramp. Open or close the feed ramp in small increments to get the desired results.

Good luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the help -- finally got an afternoon off work, so can look at this again. First off, the magazine would not keep a shell in place, so it must have been bent way to much outward . I got that issue solved to have the shell sitting in the magazine with the first 1/3 of the bullet sticking up and jamming the feed. So back to drawing board tomorrow and if no luck, will order a new one. I suppose the only place to get this would be at Savage?

Thanks folks and sorry for bother. I so hate working on something I have no clue about -- which I guess is about most everything.